Connect with us

International

The energy supply, a challenge to attract the investments that Trump is looking for to the United States

The United States seeks to promote foreign direct investment at a time of optimism, driven by the will of Donald Trump’s Government to generate jobs in manufacturing and other sectors. One of the main challenges pointed out by regional representatives is the large-scale supply of energy.

“Thanks to the Trump Administration, our flow of possible (investment) agreements is greater today than it has ever been,” Mississippi Governor Tate Reeves said categorically at the SelectUSA investment summit, an event that usually attracts more than 5,000 participants and that this year local authorities face with special enthusiasm to the policies of the federal government.

“It is obvious that we are not going to achieve all those investment contracts, but I think that our economy will continue to thrive in the current panorama,” added Reeves, who leads a state that concentrates plants of companies such as Toyota, Rolls Royce or Airbus and who wants to attract capital from new sectors, such as data centers.

Although Trump has applied tariff pressures to encourage foreign investment, several multinational executives highlighted the “good time” to invest in the US, both for regulatory agility and for the protection of intellectual property.

Siemens CEO Barbara Humpton said the country is experiencing a “vibrant era,” highlighting government initiatives in technology, artificial intelligence and high-speed rail. Siemens has focused recent investments in the manufacture of trains in North Carolina and electrical equipment in Texas and California, essential for data centers.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The high energy demand of these servers represents a great challenge, especially for the state of Virginia, the largest data center hub in the world.

“The demand for energy will not decrease, but quite the opposite,” said its Secretary of Commerce, Juan Pablo Segura, who highlighted initiatives such as the development of new generation nuclear reactors.

“We want that reactor to be operating by 2030, and with our current regulatory framework I think we can achieve it,” he added.

One of the great objectives of the Trump Administration in terms of energy is to make a plan that has been developing for years and that has encountered obstacles in terms of economic viability, to build a pipeline that allows to supply from Alaska 20 million tons of liquefied natural gas (LNG) each year to Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam or Thailand.

The idea is to transport natural gas from North Slope, the northernmost region of the United States, to the port of Nikiski, from where it would be liquefied and sent by ship to Asia in a journey of about 8-9 days, almost four times less than what it takes to arrive the Texas LNG that the US sells to this region of the world.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The problem is that the construction of a gas pipeline almost 1,300 kilometers long in such a remote area has been estimated at about 44 billion dollars (about 39,641 million euros).

In any case, the governor of Alaska, Mike Dunleavy, believes that given the current scenario, the gas could already be “flowing” in 2028, as he said on the opening day of this summit that concludes on Wednesday.

“Tariffs and trade have changed the equation,” he admitted regarding the reluctance shown so far by the major buyers of US LNG in the region, Japan and South Korea, two countries whose economy depends in turn greatly on what they export to the US and that are negotiating these days so that Trump’s threat to impose tariffs of 24% and 25%, respectively, does not come true.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

International

Heat wave puts more than 70 million Americans under alerts as temperatures near 46°C

36 deaths reported due to heat wave in Nuevo Leon, Mexico

More than 70 million people remained under heat alerts Monday as an intense heat wave continued across the southern United States, particularly Florida and states along the Mexican border, where temperatures and heat indexes could reach as high as 46 degrees Celsius, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).

Several cities recorded or tied temperature records over the weekend and into Monday, including Miami and Fort Lauderdale in Florida; Laredo, Borger and Austin’s airport in Texas; Atlanta, Georgia; Raleigh and Charlotte, North Carolina; and Memphis, Tennessee.

The NWS warned that the heat wave will continue affecting the southern and southeastern United States, with maximum temperatures expected to remain near 38°C to 40°C for several days. The heat index, which combines temperature and humidity to estimate how hot conditions feel, could reach 46°C.

The extreme heat is also spreading into the Southwest, where temperatures began rising again between Monday and Tuesday. Forecast highs in the region range from about 38°C to 43°C.

Heat alerts remain in effect across Nevada, Arizona and California, including areas in southern Arizona and California near the Mexican border, as authorities warn of the risks posed by prolonged extreme temperatures.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The NWS urged residents to limit outdoor activity, stay hydrated, ensure access to air conditioning or cooling centers, and check on vulnerable friends, neighbors and family members.

The United States is experiencing a summer marked by above-average temperatures and repeated heat waves. One of the most intense episodes occurred during the July 4 weekend, when extreme heat was blamed for roughly 30 deaths.

July was the hottest month ever recorded in the United States since measurements began, with the average temperature across the contiguous country approaching 25°C, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The combination of extreme heat and drought conditions has also fueled wildfires. Nearly 3 million hectares have burned across the country so far in 2026, making it the largest area affected by wildfires in a decade.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Trump warns Iran over nuclear ambitions as U.S.-Iran ceasefire deadline passes

U.S. President Donald Trump reiterated Monday that Iran must never be allowed to obtain a nuclear weapon, as a 60-day deadline set under a memorandum of understanding between Washington and Tehran expired without an agreement to end the conflict in the Middle East.

“The number one goal is, and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way or under any circumstances, a nuclear weapon,” Trump wrote in a post on his Truth Social platform.

The memorandum, signed on June 17, called for an “immediate and permanent cessation of military operations on all fronts” as part of a broader negotiation process aimed at ending the conflict. However, the deadline expired Monday without a peace agreement, while both Washington and Tehran continued to maintain their respective positions.

The expiration is largely symbolic, as military clashes resumed during the 60-day period. The Strait of Hormuz also remains blocked, contributing to elevated global oil prices.

Trump escalated his rhetoric toward Tehran last Friday, saying he planned to declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory after defeating Iran.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

“After we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated, very soon I will essentially declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory,” Trump said during a political rally in Long Island, New York. He also claimed that the United States currently controls the passage of vessels through the strategic waterway.

Meanwhile, U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Washington is preparing additional economic measures against Iran that he described as unprecedented.

“Stay tuned for new announcements next week because we are going to implement measures unlike anything ever seen in the history of the economic isolation of a country,” Bessent said.

The Treasury secretary indicated that the measures would form part of a broader “double hit” strategy that could also involve maintaining the blockade of Iranian ports.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Brazil’s Lula and Flávio Bolsonaro kick off election campaigns amid focus on crime

Public security took center stage Sunday as Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and Senator Flávio Bolsonaro formally launched their election campaigns, positioning themselves as the leading rivals ahead of the October presidential vote.

Lula, who leads most opinion polls, kicked off his campaign at the Vila Euclides stadium in São Bernardo do Campo, in São Paulo state, while Bolsonaro held his event in Rio de Janeiro, a political stronghold of his family.

During his speech, Lula announced plans to create a new Ministry of Public Security aimed at strengthening coordination between the federal government and Brazil’s states in the fight against crime.

The president pledged a tougher strategy to reclaim territories controlled or influenced by criminal groups. The proposed ministry would help “share responsibilities with the states” and confront those who seek to control favelas and impoverished neighborhoods, Lula told supporters.

The initiative places public security at the heart of Lula’s campaign as he seeks another term in office amid persistent concerns over crime and organized criminal activity in Brazil.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Lula also used his first campaign speech to reinforce his position as a leading figure of Brazil’s left and to criticize his political opponents on the right.

“I will not allow the right to take power,” Lula said, accusing his opponents of having previously mocked children who died because they lacked access to medicine.

“I don’t know what future these people imagine for the Brazilian people,” he added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

Trending

Central News