Sin categoría
China warns against U.S. trade policies, citing high tariffs and obstruction in WTO disputes
Discriminatory subsidies from the United States, continued obstruction of the appointment of judges to the World Trade Organization’s Appellate Body, and the imposition of high tariffs on imported goods have raised global concerns about a new round of trade wars, a spokesperson for China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated on Monday.
Spokesperson Lin Jian made these remarks at a regular press conference in response to questions about U.S. media criticism regarding China’s investment in the manufacturing industry.
Lin pointed out that China’s manufacturing industry enjoys a global reputation based on continuous investment in research and development and its comparative advantages, rather than on subsidies or protectionist measures.
“We have ensured the stability of global production and supply chains with our comprehensive manufacturing industry, and we have also promoted technological progress and industrial modernization worldwide,” Lin said.
He also noted that China has maintained the leading global market share in goods exports for 15 consecutive years and the second place in imports for the same period, playing a significant role in promoting stable global economic development.
Whenever the United States finds itself in a difficult situation, some individuals and U.S. media use other countries as scapegoats to shift blame, Lin said.
He added that the main factors causing global concern about a new round of trade wars are U.S. measures, including discriminatory subsidies from the Inflation Reduction Act, continued obstruction of the appointment of judges to the WTO Appellate Body, and frequent imposition of high tariffs on goods from other countries.
The spokesperson further noted that data clearly show that last year, among WTO members, only the United States reported 454 technical barriers to trade, more than the total reported by the next five members combined.
“Protectionism cannot bring about the illusion of a ‘win-win’ outcome; instead, it will only result in lost opportunities for mutually beneficial cooperation,” said the spokesperson, adding that the Chinese economy has become deeply integrated into global development and will further expand high-level openness and cultivate new driving forces for global economic development.
On the path of open cooperation, China will always be an opportunity for the world, Lin asserted.
Sin categoría
Trump renews criticism of Pope Leo XIV amid tensions over Iran
The President of the United States, Donald Trump, renewed his criticism of Pope Leo XIV on Tuesday night, urging that “someone tell him” that Iran has “killed at least 42,000 innocent protesters” and insisting that it is “unacceptable” for the country to possess nuclear weapons.
“Can someone please inform Pope Leo that Iran has killed at least 42,000 completely unarmed, innocent protesters over the past two months, and that it is absolutely unacceptable for Iran to have a nuclear bomb?” Trump wrote on his social media platform Truth Social.
The statement comes amid an escalating public dispute between Trump and the pontiff over the conflict in Iran and the broader Middle East. The US president concluded his message with the phrase “AMERICA IS BACK.”
Pope Leo XIV, who was born in the United States, has repeatedly spoken out—both directly and indirectly—against Washington’s stance toward Tehran, while calling for peace in the region.
On Monday, Trump openly criticized the pope, describing him as “weak” and “terrible on foreign policy.”
Speaking aboard a flight to Algeria, the first stop of his trip to Africa, the pontiff said he was “not afraid” of the Trump administration and would continue to raise his voice against the ongoing conflict.
Sin categoría
Tehran engulfed in toxic cloud after strikes on fuel facilities
Tehran woke up under a sky that shifted from gray to black following strikes on fuel infrastructure, as the city has become engulfed in a toxic cloud that is turning daily life into a public health and environmental emergency.
Residents warn that what is falling from the sky is no longer just rain, but a mixture of oil and pollutants. Attacks on fuel depots have triggered prolonged fires, releasing thick plumes of smoke that continue to spread across the العاصمة.
For several days, facilities have remained ablaze, while a dark layer has settled over streets, homes, and even water reserves. Authorities have urged the population—more than nine million people—to remain indoors, especially vulnerable groups.
The extreme toxicity is linked to mazut, a dense petroleum byproduct with high sulfur content still used in Iran due to industrial limitations and sanctions. When burned, it releases hazardous particles that, when combined with moisture, result in contaminated rainfall.
The situation is worsened by Tehran’s geography. Surrounded by mountains, the city is affected by a temperature inversion phenomenon that traps pollutants near the ground, preventing their dispersion and creating a stagnant layer of toxic air over the population.
Residents have reported symptoms such as eye and skin irritation, headaches, and respiratory difficulties. Emergency agencies have also warned of potential chemical burns caused by acid rain.
Long-term concerns are mounting, as prolonged exposure to fine particles and heavy metals could lead to serious health conditions, including lung damage and cancer.
Contamination is also spreading to water sources and agricultural land, threatening the food supply in a country already facing water scarcity.
At a regional level, the environmental impact is expanding, with oil spills reported in the Persian Gulf, affecting marine ecosystems and fishing communities.
Sin categoría
FBI Most Wanted Fugitive Arrested in Mexico and Deported to U.S.
Authorities in Mexico announced Thursday that Samuel Ramírez Jr., a U.S. citizen accused of murdering two women and listed among the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted Fugitives, was arrested in the northern state of Sinaloa.
Ramírez Jr., 33, was detained Tuesday in Culiacán just 1 hour and 13 minutes after being added to the Federal Bureau of Investigation Ten Most Wanted list, the agency said in a statement.
The suspect, who was born in California, has already been deported to the U.S. state of Washington, where he faces charges related to the fatal shooting of two women at a bar in Federal Way in May 2023.
A court issued an arrest warrant for Ramírez in November last year, and the FBI initially offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to his capture, later increasing the amount to up to $1 million.
“To protect individuals’ privacy and ensure continued cooperation from the public, the FBI does not confirm the identity of those who provide information,” the agency said in its statement.
-
International3 days agoU.S. Sanctions Alleged Sinaloa Cartel Money Launderers Linked to Fentanyl Trade
-
International3 days agoTrump Delays Potential Iran Strikes as Regional Peace Talks Continue
-
Central America3 days agoNicaragua’s Alliances With U.S. Rivals Could Trigger More Sanctions, Analysis Says
-
International3 days agoGabriel García Luna Pledges to Restore Public Trust in Guatemala’s Prosecutor’s Office
-
International6 hours agoWHO Warns Ebola Outbreak Is Spreading Rapidly in DR Congo
-
International3 days agoFAO Urges Urgent Action as Hormuz Disruption Threatens Global Food Supply
-
International6 hours agoGuatemalan Man Sentenced to 50 Years in U.S. Prison for Child Exploitation Crimes

























