Connect with us

International

López Obrador asks Biden and Trump to “not blame Mexico” for migration in the debate

The president of Mexico, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, asked “not to blame Mexico” for the migration in the debate that the president of the United States, Joe Biden, and his rival, former ruler Donald Trump (2017-2021), will have this Thursday, stating that “there is no serious problem.”

“Let them know how the immigration situation is today on the northern border so that the migration issue is not used as a pretext, with the desire to blame Mexico for blaming Mexico and wanting to look good with the citizens of the United States, with all respect for the two candidates,” López Obrador requested at his morning conference.

His statements are made hours before the debate that will be broadcast by CNN that is unprecedented because it occurs before the conventions of both parties, which formalize the nominations for the presidential race, will not be organized by the Presidential Debate Commission, and will not have an audience.

The Mexican ruler predicted that one of the central issues will be migration, but asked to consider that the arrests of migrants on the United States border with Mexico have fallen by more than 72%, to 3,479 on June 25, from 12,498 on December 18, the highest point of last year.

“If the issue of migration is dealt with, let it be acted objectively and with attachment to the truth. Currently there is no serious problem in migration and both of us, both former President Trump and President Biden, know that we have insisted on addressing the causes of migration and we have been doing what we are rightful,” he said.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

López Obrador argued that migration has decreased because his Government has reached agreements with expelling countries such as Ecuador, Venezuela, Cuba and Haiti.

He also said that the migration of Mexicans has fallen because the United States has an unemployment rate of 3.9% and Mexico one of 2.7%, according to his data, so “there are not so many anymore.”

“Mexico collaborates because we want to have a good-neighbourly relationship with the United States and we have achieved it, but as the debates come, there is the temptation to blame, but this is the reality,” he said.

The meeting will take place just over four months after the United States elections, in which migration on the border with Mexico is a central issue and the winner will deal with the next Mexican president, Claudia Sheinbaum, who will take over on October 1 with the promise to continue López Obrador’s policy.

“It is very important to see the debate, although it is about the United States, they are our neighbors, 40 million Mexicans live in the United States, we are the main trading partners in the world, we share many kilometers of border,” he said.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

International

Heat wave puts more than 70 million Americans under alerts as temperatures near 46°C

36 deaths reported due to heat wave in Nuevo Leon, Mexico

More than 70 million people remained under heat alerts Monday as an intense heat wave continued across the southern United States, particularly Florida and states along the Mexican border, where temperatures and heat indexes could reach as high as 46 degrees Celsius, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).

Several cities recorded or tied temperature records over the weekend and into Monday, including Miami and Fort Lauderdale in Florida; Laredo, Borger and Austin’s airport in Texas; Atlanta, Georgia; Raleigh and Charlotte, North Carolina; and Memphis, Tennessee.

The NWS warned that the heat wave will continue affecting the southern and southeastern United States, with maximum temperatures expected to remain near 38°C to 40°C for several days. The heat index, which combines temperature and humidity to estimate how hot conditions feel, could reach 46°C.

The extreme heat is also spreading into the Southwest, where temperatures began rising again between Monday and Tuesday. Forecast highs in the region range from about 38°C to 43°C.

Heat alerts remain in effect across Nevada, Arizona and California, including areas in southern Arizona and California near the Mexican border, as authorities warn of the risks posed by prolonged extreme temperatures.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The NWS urged residents to limit outdoor activity, stay hydrated, ensure access to air conditioning or cooling centers, and check on vulnerable friends, neighbors and family members.

The United States is experiencing a summer marked by above-average temperatures and repeated heat waves. One of the most intense episodes occurred during the July 4 weekend, when extreme heat was blamed for roughly 30 deaths.

July was the hottest month ever recorded in the United States since measurements began, with the average temperature across the contiguous country approaching 25°C, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The combination of extreme heat and drought conditions has also fueled wildfires. Nearly 3 million hectares have burned across the country so far in 2026, making it the largest area affected by wildfires in a decade.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Trump warns Iran over nuclear ambitions as U.S.-Iran ceasefire deadline passes

U.S. President Donald Trump reiterated Monday that Iran must never be allowed to obtain a nuclear weapon, as a 60-day deadline set under a memorandum of understanding between Washington and Tehran expired without an agreement to end the conflict in the Middle East.

“The number one goal is, and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way or under any circumstances, a nuclear weapon,” Trump wrote in a post on his Truth Social platform.

The memorandum, signed on June 17, called for an “immediate and permanent cessation of military operations on all fronts” as part of a broader negotiation process aimed at ending the conflict. However, the deadline expired Monday without a peace agreement, while both Washington and Tehran continued to maintain their respective positions.

The expiration is largely symbolic, as military clashes resumed during the 60-day period. The Strait of Hormuz also remains blocked, contributing to elevated global oil prices.

Trump escalated his rhetoric toward Tehran last Friday, saying he planned to declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory after defeating Iran.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

“After we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated, very soon I will essentially declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory,” Trump said during a political rally in Long Island, New York. He also claimed that the United States currently controls the passage of vessels through the strategic waterway.

Meanwhile, U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Washington is preparing additional economic measures against Iran that he described as unprecedented.

“Stay tuned for new announcements next week because we are going to implement measures unlike anything ever seen in the history of the economic isolation of a country,” Bessent said.

The Treasury secretary indicated that the measures would form part of a broader “double hit” strategy that could also involve maintaining the blockade of Iranian ports.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Brazil’s Lula and Flávio Bolsonaro kick off election campaigns amid focus on crime

Public security took center stage Sunday as Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and Senator Flávio Bolsonaro formally launched their election campaigns, positioning themselves as the leading rivals ahead of the October presidential vote.

Lula, who leads most opinion polls, kicked off his campaign at the Vila Euclides stadium in São Bernardo do Campo, in São Paulo state, while Bolsonaro held his event in Rio de Janeiro, a political stronghold of his family.

During his speech, Lula announced plans to create a new Ministry of Public Security aimed at strengthening coordination between the federal government and Brazil’s states in the fight against crime.

The president pledged a tougher strategy to reclaim territories controlled or influenced by criminal groups. The proposed ministry would help “share responsibilities with the states” and confront those who seek to control favelas and impoverished neighborhoods, Lula told supporters.

The initiative places public security at the heart of Lula’s campaign as he seeks another term in office amid persistent concerns over crime and organized criminal activity in Brazil.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Lula also used his first campaign speech to reinforce his position as a leading figure of Brazil’s left and to criticize his political opponents on the right.

“I will not allow the right to take power,” Lula said, accusing his opponents of having previously mocked children who died because they lacked access to medicine.

“I don’t know what future these people imagine for the Brazilian people,” he added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

Trending

Central News