Connect with us

International

Judge says Brazil was governed by groups with paramilitary ties

Judge says Brazil was governed by groups with paramilitary ties

February 3rd |

Justice Gilmar Mendes, dean of Brazil’s Supreme Federal Court, denounced today that during the presidency of Jair Bolsonaro (2019-2023) the South American country was “being governed by people in the shadows” with the support of paramilitary groups in Rio de Janeiro.

“What it shows is that we were being governed by people in the shadows. This is a fact of reality, people from the militia (paramilitary groups) of Rio de Janeiro with a leading role in national politics,” Mendes said today in declarations to journalists in Lisbon in the framework of the Portuguese-Brazilian business forum LIDE.

The magistrate was referring to statements made yesterday, Thursday, by Brazilian senator Marcos do Val, who accused Bolsonaro of trying to convince him to stage a coup d’état and not recognize the victory in the elections of leftist Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, who assumed the presidency of Brazil last January 1.

Advertisement
20240506_crecerjuntos_720x90
20240426_bcr_censo_728x90
20240502_censo_jorge_728x90
20231223_factura_electronica_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230816_dgs_728x90
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
CEL
CEL
SSF
SSF
SSF
previous arrow
next arrow

“We lowered the scale of political degradation,” the magistrate added.

He also advocated reforming the area of public security and the Armed Forces, since, during the attacks perpetrated in Brasília last January 8 on the headquarters of the three branches of government by radical Bolsonaristas, “there was a breakdown of the security system”.

The forum, which began today and concludes tomorrow, Saturday, in a Lisbon hotel, was attended by former Brazilian President Michel Temer, as well as members of Brazil’s Supreme Federal Court and the Superior Electoral Court, among others, who have defended that normality is being restored in the country.

Among the participants was the president of the Brazilian Court of Auditors, Bruno Dantas, who defended before journalists that those responsible for the attacks of January 8 have to answer to Justice.

“History teaches that leniency is not the best way to deal with criminals. The criminal needs to be punished with the rigor of the law,” he argued.

Advertisement
20240506_crecerjuntos_720x90
20240426_bcr_censo_728x90
20240502_censo_jorge_728x90
20231223_factura_electronica_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230816_dgs_728x90
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
CEL
CEL
SSF
SSF
SSF
previous arrow
next arrow

He clarified that the damages caused by these protests are still being analyzed and that, once quantified, those responsible for the vandalism will be identified through their tax records and fined.

“It is a job that is in charge of the police, the identification of people, but when we have the list of vandals, we will hold them responsible”, measures that may even include the blocking of patrimony, he asserted.

So far, they have more than 18 million reais (about 3.2 million euros) blocked from the assets of these people.

On the other hand, Temer acknowledged that he does not believe that protests like those that occurred last January 8 will be repeated, and predicted that “absolute tranquility” will return to the country in the next few days.

“I think there was a movement that was not useful for the country. It created an image that was even negative, but, in the face of the very fast action of the Brazilian justice system, I think it is also being overcome with extraordinary speed,” he said.

Advertisement
20240506_crecerjuntos_720x90
20240426_bcr_censo_728x90
20240502_censo_jorge_728x90
20231223_factura_electronica_728x90
20231124_etesal_728x90_1
20230816_dgs_728x90
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_728X90
CEL
CEL
SSF
SSF
SSF
previous arrow
next arrow

Temer told EFE that Brazil “has already gone through many political, economic and social crises and overcame them all (…). A few days from now, the country will be in absolute tranquility”.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20240506_crecerjuntos_300x250
20231223_factura_electronica_300x250
20231124_etesal_300x250_1
20230816_dgs_300x250
20230601_agenda_primera_infancia_300X250
MARN1

International

140: this is the number of countries that recognize the Palestinian state

About 140 countries of the 193 countries that are part of the United Nations (UN) have recognized the Palestinian State and of them eight belong to the European Union (EU), although only Sweden and Cyprus did so after entering it.

Sweden was the last country in the European Union to recognize the Palestinian State, on October 30, 2014.

Three years earlier, on January 30, 2011, it had been done by Cyprus, a member of the European Union since 2004.

The recognition by Sweden in 2014 opened the debate between the EU member states and several legislative chambers approved resolutions to urge their governments to officially recognize Palestine as a state, including the British parliament, the Irish Senate, the Congress of Deputies in Spain or the French Assembly.

On December 17, 2014, the European Parliament (EP) joined the recognition of Palestine, by supporting a joint resolution of the majority political groups that won 498 votes in favor, 111 against and 88 abstentions.

The other six EU countries that have recognized the Palestinian State are the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Poland and Romania.

They all did it days after, on November 15, 1988, the Palestinian National Council proclaimed in Algiers the establishment of the state of Palestine, while accepting UN Security Council resolutions 242 and 338, which meant recognizing Israel’s right to exist.

Six of those countries then belonged to the Soviet bloc, including the Czech Republic and Slovakia, then united in a single country, Czechoslovakia.

In the year following its proclamation, the Palestinian State was recognized by ninety countries and in 1995 the number already exceeded one hundred.

Cuba, then also a Soviet ally, and Nicaragua were the first Latin American countries to recognize Palestine as a state, in 1988. Currently, 24 Latin American countries recognize it, all except Mexico and Panama.

The last to do so was Colombia, on August 8, 2018.

The Bahamas, on May 8, was the last country to formally recognize Palestine as a State and its right to “self-determination.” Shortly before, Trinidad and Tobago (May 3), Jamaica (April 24) and Barbados (April 21) had done it.

Among those who do not recognize the Palestinian state, in addition to countries of the European Union such as Germany, France or Italy, the United States, the United Kingdom or Australia stand out.

Continue Reading

International

Beijing sanctions 12 other U.S. military companies for selling weapons to Taiwan

China today sanctioned twelve other US military companies and several senior managers for selling weapons to Taiwan and in response to the sanctions imposed by Washington on Chinese entities on account of the war in Ukraine, something that, according to Beijing, “violated the legitimate rights of Chinese institutions and individuals.”

Among the twelve sanctioned companies, which will freeze their assets in China, are several of the Lockheed Martin group, in addition to Javelin Joint Venture, Raytheon Missile Systems and General Dynamics Ordnance, among others, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs reported in a statement.

The Chinese government has reiterated on numerous occasions its opposition to the sale of weapons to Taiwan by Washington, which in turn also sanctioned on May 1 hundreds of companies, including several Chinese companies, which it pointed out for helping Russia in its war against Ukraine.

Continue Reading

International

The Princess of Wales still can’t resume her official agenda

The Princess of Wales, Catherine, who is currently undergoing preventive oncological treatment, will not yet be able to resume her official agenda, as indicated by Kensington Palace, her official residence.

The news was released during the presentation of a report on the foundation that it supports and with which it is about giving priority to the mental health of children under five years of age.

For his part, a spokesman for Kensington Palace told the BBC that “the princess is not expected to return to work until her medical team authorizes it.”

Last March, Prince William’s wife revealed through a video that she was undergoing preventive cancer treatment, after doctors detected her with cancer cells after an abdominal operation last January.

Since then, there has been no official statement about the state or treatment of Prince William’s wife.

Like Catherine, King Charles III undergoes oncological treatment.

Continue Reading

Trending

Central News