International
Football legend Pele hospitalized again
| By AFP |
Brazilian football legend Pele has been hospitalized again for a “reevaluation” of his treatment following a colon tumor last year, his doctors said Wednesday, the latest health issue for the 82-year-old icon.
Edson Arantes do Nascimento — Pele’s real name — was admitted to hospital in Sao Paulo “for a reevaluation of his chemotherapy treatment for the colon tumor diagnosed in September 2021,” his medical team said in a statement.
“He was taken to a standard room, without the need for intensive or semi-intensive care… (He) is in full control of his vital functions and in stable condition,” it added.
Pele’s daughter Kely Nascimento told his fans there was “no emergency.”
“There is (no) emergency or new dire prediction… We appreciate the concern and love,” she wrote on Instagram.
Another daughter, Flavia Nascimento, denied rumors the footballer known as “The King” had taken a turn for the worse.
“There’s been a certain amount of confusion because my father went to the hospital for some exams,” she said in a video, describing the stay as part of routine treatment “to monitor his cancer.”
“Please keep sending him that World Cup energy, which he loves and is exactly what he needs.”
Considered by many the greatest footballer of all time, Pele has suffered from increasingly fragile health in recent years.
He has been undergoing regular chemotherapy treatments since being diagnosed with colon cancer last year.
He had surgery to remove the tumor in September 2021, spending a month in the hospital.
The only player in history to win three World Cups (1958, 1962 and 1970), Pele had one of the most storied careers in sport, scoring more than 1,000 goals before retiring in 1977.
His public appearances have grown increasingly rare, but he maintains an active presence on social media — recently telling the Brazilian national team he was counting on them to “bring this trophy home” from the World Cup in Qatar.
Current Brazilian international Alex Telles told a news conference in Doha the team are rooting for Pele to make a speedy recovery.
“It’s hard to talk about our ‘King,’ he represents us to the entire world. I’m praying for him to stay strong here with us. Hugs to his family, everything will be all right,” said the Sevilla defender.
Central America
Guatemala’s Attorney General Consuelo Porras Loses Bid for Constitutional Court Seat
Guatemala’s attorney general, Consuelo Porras, who has been sanctioned by the United States over corruption allegations, lost a key vote on Monday in which a public university selected two of the 10 magistrates for the country’s highest constitutional court. However, she could still seek a seat through another nominating body.
The election of five full magistrates and five alternates to the Corte de Constitucionalidad (CC) is taking place gradually over more than two months and is considered crucial in the ongoing struggle for control of Guatemala’s judiciary, which critics say has long been influenced by a political and economic elite accused of corruption.
According to results announced at a press conference, the governing council of the Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala (USAC) rejected Porras, who had applied as either a full or alternate magistrate, and instead chose two candidates aligned with the university rector. The vote was held at a hotel in Antigua, about 35 kilometers from the capital.
Despite the setback, Porras — whose term as attorney general ends on May 16 — could still be nominated to the Constitutional Court by the Corte Suprema de Justicia, which appoints two magistrates. The remaining six are selected by the president, the bar association and Congress.
“It’s always a possibility,” the 72-year-old lawyer said days earlier when asked by reporters whether she would seek nomination through another institution if she lost the USAC vote.
Porras has been sanctioned by Washington and the European Union for allegedly attempting two years ago to block the inauguration of President Bernardo Arévalo and for pursuing legal actions against anti-corruption prosecutors, judges, journalists and social leaders since taking office in 2018.
The USAC vote was controversial because most members of the university’s governing council are serving beyond the expiration of their terms. Students, academics and social activists staged protests against Porras’ candidacy.
International
Florida judge sets 2027 trial in Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against BBC
A federal judge in Florida has scheduled February 2027 for the trial in the lawsuit filed by U.S. President Donald Trump against the BBC, in which he is seeking $10 billion in damages for defamation.
Trump accuses the British broadcaster of airing a misleading edit of a speech he delivered on January 6, 2021, which, he says, made it appear that he explicitly urged his supporters to attack the U.S. Capitol in Washington.
The president filed the suit in December in federal court in Florida, alleging defamation and violations of a law governing business practices when the program was broadcast ahead of the 2024 election.
Trump is seeking $5 billion in damages for each of the two claims.
Lawyers for the BBC unsuccessfully asked the court to dismiss the case, arguing that Trump had not suffered a “legally recognizable harm,” since the investigative program Panorama, which included the edited footage, aired outside the United States.
International
Head-of-state diplomacy key to guiding China–U.S. ties, Beijing says
Head-of-state diplomacy plays an irreplaceable strategic guiding role in China–United States relations, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian said on Thursday during a regular press briefing, when asked about high-level exchanges between the two sides.
Lin added that in a recent phone call, U.S. President Donald Trump once again expressed his intention to visit China in April, while Chinese President Xi Jinping reiterated his invitation.
Both sides remain in communication regarding the matter, the spokesperson said.
Lin noted that the essence of China–U.S. economic and trade ties lies in mutual benefit and win-win outcomes.
“Both parties should work together to implement the important consensus reached by the two heads of state, injecting greater certainty and stability into China–U.S. economic and trade cooperation, as well as into the global economy,” he said.
-
International5 days agoHead-of-state diplomacy key to guiding China–U.S. ties, Beijing says
-
International5 days agoFlorida judge sets 2027 trial in Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against BBC
-
Central America2 days agoGuatemala’s president denounces MP raids during Constitutional Court election
-
International5 days agoTrump administration to end special immigration operation in Minnesota
-
Central America2 days agoTeens visit ETESAL substation to learn about responsible energy use
-
Central America9 hours agoGuatemala’s Attorney General Consuelo Porras Loses Bid for Constitutional Court Seat























