Connect with us

Sin categoría

Spanish government makes legal case to EU against Super League

AFP

The Spanish government has sent an email to the European Court of Justice to explain the legal reasoning behind its opposition to the European Super League, the Spanish ministry of culture and sport (CSD) told AFP on Tuesday.

The email expressed the government’s position that “the improvement of competitions is possible through dialogue and always through the structures that already exist”, said sources from the CSD.

“We have sent that opinion to the EU but also with the legal reasoning provided by the state,” the sources added.

Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus remain attached to the project, even after the other nine teams, including Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Manchester City, Atletico Madrid, AC Milan and Inter Milan, all withdrew in April.

Advertisement
20260224_estafa_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

UEFA initially opened disciplinary proceedings against the three remaining clubs but backed down last month after a commercial court in Madrid ruled any punishment would represent an infringement of European free trade laws.

The ruling has been referred to the European Court of Justice, with a decision expected this week on whether UEFA’s power to punish clubs should be examined.

Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus are adamant the idea of a breakaway league is not dead, despite a huge backlash and protests from fans in England.

“There is a binding contract and no one can leave,” said Madrid president Florentino Perez in June. “The Super League continues.”

The botched proposal involved founding members enjoying guaranteed qualification to the league every year, playing fixtures against each other in midweek and splitting 3.5 billion euros between them for signing up.

Advertisement
20260224_estafa_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260224_estafa_mh_300x250

Sin categoría

Trump renews criticism of Pope Leo XIV amid tensions over Iran

The President of the United States, Donald Trump, renewed his criticism of Pope Leo XIV on Tuesday night, urging that “someone tell him” that Iran has “killed at least 42,000 innocent protesters” and insisting that it is “unacceptable” for the country to possess nuclear weapons.

“Can someone please inform Pope Leo that Iran has killed at least 42,000 completely unarmed, innocent protesters over the past two months, and that it is absolutely unacceptable for Iran to have a nuclear bomb?” Trump wrote on his social media platform Truth Social.

The statement comes amid an escalating public dispute between Trump and the pontiff over the conflict in Iran and the broader Middle East. The US president concluded his message with the phrase “AMERICA IS BACK.”

Pope Leo XIV, who was born in the United States, has repeatedly spoken out—both directly and indirectly—against Washington’s stance toward Tehran, while calling for peace in the region.

On Monday, Trump openly criticized the pope, describing him as “weak” and “terrible on foreign policy.”

Advertisement

20260224_estafa_mh_728x90

previous arrow
next arrow

Speaking aboard a flight to Algeria, the first stop of his trip to Africa, the pontiff said he was “not afraid” of the Trump administration and would continue to raise his voice against the ongoing conflict.

Continue Reading

Sin categoría

Tehran engulfed in toxic cloud after strikes on fuel facilities

Tehran woke up under a sky that shifted from gray to black following strikes on fuel infrastructure, as the city has become engulfed in a toxic cloud that is turning daily life into a public health and environmental emergency.

Residents warn that what is falling from the sky is no longer just rain, but a mixture of oil and pollutants. Attacks on fuel depots have triggered prolonged fires, releasing thick plumes of smoke that continue to spread across the العاصمة.

For several days, facilities have remained ablaze, while a dark layer has settled over streets, homes, and even water reserves. Authorities have urged the population—more than nine million people—to remain indoors, especially vulnerable groups.

The extreme toxicity is linked to mazut, a dense petroleum byproduct with high sulfur content still used in Iran due to industrial limitations and sanctions. When burned, it releases hazardous particles that, when combined with moisture, result in contaminated rainfall.

The situation is worsened by Tehran’s geography. Surrounded by mountains, the city is affected by a temperature inversion phenomenon that traps pollutants near the ground, preventing their dispersion and creating a stagnant layer of toxic air over the population.

Advertisement

20260224_estafa_mh_728x90

previous arrow
next arrow

Residents have reported symptoms such as eye and skin irritation, headaches, and respiratory difficulties. Emergency agencies have also warned of potential chemical burns caused by acid rain.

Long-term concerns are mounting, as prolonged exposure to fine particles and heavy metals could lead to serious health conditions, including lung damage and cancer.

Contamination is also spreading to water sources and agricultural land, threatening the food supply in a country already facing water scarcity.

At a regional level, the environmental impact is expanding, with oil spills reported in the Persian Gulf, affecting marine ecosystems and fishing communities.

Advertisement

20260224_estafa_mh_728x90

previous arrow
next arrow

Continue Reading

Sin categoría

FBI Most Wanted Fugitive Arrested in Mexico and Deported to U.S.

Authorities in Mexico announced Thursday that Samuel Ramírez Jr., a U.S. citizen accused of murdering two women and listed among the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted Fugitives, was arrested in the northern state of Sinaloa.

Ramírez Jr., 33, was detained Tuesday in Culiacán just 1 hour and 13 minutes after being added to the Federal Bureau of Investigation Ten Most Wanted list, the agency said in a statement.

The suspect, who was born in California, has already been deported to the U.S. state of Washington, where he faces charges related to the fatal shooting of two women at a bar in Federal Way in May 2023.

A court issued an arrest warrant for Ramírez in November last year, and the FBI initially offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to his capture, later increasing the amount to up to $1 million.

“To protect individuals’ privacy and ensure continued cooperation from the public, the FBI does not confirm the identity of those who provide information,” the agency said in its statement.

Advertisement

20260224_estafa_mh_728x90

previous arrow
next arrow

Continue Reading

Trending

Central News