Connect with us

International

The Supreme Court of Israel rules on the end of the military exemption for ultra-Orthodox Jews

The Israeli Supreme Court unanimously ruled on Tuesday the end of the military exemption for young ultra-Orthodox Jews, a very controversial measure that has historically divided Israeli society, especially since the war in the Gaza Strip.

The Court decided that “there is no legal basis to exclude ultra-Orthodox men from recruitment” and that if they do not serve in the Army they should not receive educational and social assistance subsidies financed with public funds.

It is not clear whether this ruling implies the immediate sending of recruitment orders for the approximately 67,000 eligible Hareddi men – the equivalent of five military divisions – for compulsory military service at this time, or it will be a gradual process.

The two ultra-Orthodox parties – Shas and United Torah Judaism (JUT) – are frontally opposed to the recruitment of young Torah scholars and have threatened to leave Benjamin Netanyahu’s current government coalition if the measure enters into force, endangering the stability of the Executive, since they provide 18 vital seats.

“There has never been a ruling of the Supreme Court in favor of the students of the yeshivah and in the interest of the ultra-orthodox public. There is not a single judge there who understands the value of the study of the Torah and its contribution to the people of Israel,” said today one of the leaders of JUT, Rabbi and deputy Moshe Gafni.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The military exemption for ultra-Orthodox Jews is not a law, but an executive provision that is prolonged periodically and that exists since the birth of the State of Israel, although there are several judicial judgments that indicate that it violates the principle of equality that governs the Israeli basic law.

The Israeli Supreme Court began at the beginning of June to hear arguments in the case of the military exemption of ultra-Orthodox Jews, who since the formation of the State of Israel can avoid compulsory military service if they study full-time in a Talmudic school (yeshivah).

This issue has caused great divisions in Israeli society and within the government.

At the beginning of April, a temporary rule that allowed the exemption to be maintained expired, and numerous civil society groups have claimed to end the privileges of the ultra-Orthodox, which represent about 13% of the Israeli population.

The Government has been represented in this litigation by a private lawyer, since the Attorney General, Gali Baharav-Miara, has declared herself against the military exemption, going so far as to declare that the Executive acts “without authority” when trying to prevent recruitment.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

After the massive mobilization of about 300,000 reservists for the war in Gaza, which has already lasted almost nine months, in addition to for battalions of soldiers both on the northern border with Lebanon and in the occupied territory of the West Bank, many Israelis demand that Netanyahu, that all young people in Israel fulfill their military “duty”.

“There is a real national need to extend the time of service of the soldiers of the permanent army and to extend the period of service of the reservists. Therefore, we are obliged to reach new agreements and make decisions that we had not made in 75 years,” said the Minister of Defense, Yoav Gallant, on this issue.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

International

Heat wave puts more than 70 million Americans under alerts as temperatures near 46°C

36 deaths reported due to heat wave in Nuevo Leon, Mexico

More than 70 million people remained under heat alerts Monday as an intense heat wave continued across the southern United States, particularly Florida and states along the Mexican border, where temperatures and heat indexes could reach as high as 46 degrees Celsius, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).

Several cities recorded or tied temperature records over the weekend and into Monday, including Miami and Fort Lauderdale in Florida; Laredo, Borger and Austin’s airport in Texas; Atlanta, Georgia; Raleigh and Charlotte, North Carolina; and Memphis, Tennessee.

The NWS warned that the heat wave will continue affecting the southern and southeastern United States, with maximum temperatures expected to remain near 38°C to 40°C for several days. The heat index, which combines temperature and humidity to estimate how hot conditions feel, could reach 46°C.

The extreme heat is also spreading into the Southwest, where temperatures began rising again between Monday and Tuesday. Forecast highs in the region range from about 38°C to 43°C.

Heat alerts remain in effect across Nevada, Arizona and California, including areas in southern Arizona and California near the Mexican border, as authorities warn of the risks posed by prolonged extreme temperatures.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The NWS urged residents to limit outdoor activity, stay hydrated, ensure access to air conditioning or cooling centers, and check on vulnerable friends, neighbors and family members.

The United States is experiencing a summer marked by above-average temperatures and repeated heat waves. One of the most intense episodes occurred during the July 4 weekend, when extreme heat was blamed for roughly 30 deaths.

July was the hottest month ever recorded in the United States since measurements began, with the average temperature across the contiguous country approaching 25°C, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The combination of extreme heat and drought conditions has also fueled wildfires. Nearly 3 million hectares have burned across the country so far in 2026, making it the largest area affected by wildfires in a decade.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Trump warns Iran over nuclear ambitions as U.S.-Iran ceasefire deadline passes

U.S. President Donald Trump reiterated Monday that Iran must never be allowed to obtain a nuclear weapon, as a 60-day deadline set under a memorandum of understanding between Washington and Tehran expired without an agreement to end the conflict in the Middle East.

“The number one goal is, and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way or under any circumstances, a nuclear weapon,” Trump wrote in a post on his Truth Social platform.

The memorandum, signed on June 17, called for an “immediate and permanent cessation of military operations on all fronts” as part of a broader negotiation process aimed at ending the conflict. However, the deadline expired Monday without a peace agreement, while both Washington and Tehran continued to maintain their respective positions.

The expiration is largely symbolic, as military clashes resumed during the 60-day period. The Strait of Hormuz also remains blocked, contributing to elevated global oil prices.

Trump escalated his rhetoric toward Tehran last Friday, saying he planned to declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory after defeating Iran.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

“After we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated, very soon I will essentially declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory,” Trump said during a political rally in Long Island, New York. He also claimed that the United States currently controls the passage of vessels through the strategic waterway.

Meanwhile, U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Washington is preparing additional economic measures against Iran that he described as unprecedented.

“Stay tuned for new announcements next week because we are going to implement measures unlike anything ever seen in the history of the economic isolation of a country,” Bessent said.

The Treasury secretary indicated that the measures would form part of a broader “double hit” strategy that could also involve maintaining the blockade of Iranian ports.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Brazil’s Lula and Flávio Bolsonaro kick off election campaigns amid focus on crime

Public security took center stage Sunday as Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and Senator Flávio Bolsonaro formally launched their election campaigns, positioning themselves as the leading rivals ahead of the October presidential vote.

Lula, who leads most opinion polls, kicked off his campaign at the Vila Euclides stadium in São Bernardo do Campo, in São Paulo state, while Bolsonaro held his event in Rio de Janeiro, a political stronghold of his family.

During his speech, Lula announced plans to create a new Ministry of Public Security aimed at strengthening coordination between the federal government and Brazil’s states in the fight against crime.

The president pledged a tougher strategy to reclaim territories controlled or influenced by criminal groups. The proposed ministry would help “share responsibilities with the states” and confront those who seek to control favelas and impoverished neighborhoods, Lula told supporters.

The initiative places public security at the heart of Lula’s campaign as he seeks another term in office amid persistent concerns over crime and organized criminal activity in Brazil.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Lula also used his first campaign speech to reinforce his position as a leading figure of Brazil’s left and to criticize his political opponents on the right.

“I will not allow the right to take power,” Lula said, accusing his opponents of having previously mocked children who died because they lacked access to medicine.

“I don’t know what future these people imagine for the Brazilian people,” he added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

Trending

Central News