International
Evo Morales defends the legality of the MAS congress in the face of the non-attendance of the electoral body
The former president of Bolivia Evo Morales (2006-2019) said this Sunday that the ruling congress of the Movement for Socialism (MAS) that will be held on Monday meets the convening requirements despite the fact that the electoral authority ruled out the supervision of the event.
Morales, who is the leader of the MAS, announced a few days ago that the party meeting for the renewal of the board will take place in the town of Villa Tunari, in the Tropic of Cochabamba and that it will have about 1,300 delegates and at least 20,000 attendees.
Therefore, its sector presented some legal actions to instruct the accompaniment of the electoral body to the event, as happened with the congress that the social organizations related to the Government of Luis Arce or ‘arcists’ that carried out at the beginning of May in El Alto, a neighboring city of La Paz.
At that meeting, the leader Grover García was elected as the new president of the MAS replacing Morales, but that appointment has been rejected by the ‘evista’ wing of that party that recognizes the former ruler as its leader, intends to re-elect him and proclaim him a candidate for the 2025 presidential elections.
The member of the Supreme Electoral Tribunal (TSE) Tahuichi Tahuichi Quispe declared on the eve that the electoral body “will not attend” the event “because the formal requirements were not met.”
Evo Morales said in his Sunday program on the Coca-Cola station Kawsachun Coca that it was observed that the call to congress has not been “consensued” with the leaders of the social sectors close to the Government and that the former president’s sector rejects.
“They are forcing us to agree with the other leaders without bases. All the Bolivian people know (that they are leaders) based on prebends,” he added.
The former president maintained that even the TSE requested that the call be signed by the 10 members of the directive despite the fact that according to the rules of the MAS it is enough for the president of the organization to make the call.
“The plan that the Government has, like the United States – the empire – and as the right, if it is not to take away the acronym (of the MAS) is to outlaw and disable Evo,” Morales said.
The peasant leader Ponciano Santos said on the eve that the MAS congress in Villa Tunari will be held “yes or yes,” even without the accompaniment of the electoral body.
However, Santos, who accompanied Morales on his radio program this day, nuanced and said that in the absence of the electoral body at the meeting, it could become “a national congress” from which some decisions come out.
“We’re going to have to see each other on the streets face to face,” he said.
The MAS congress promoted by the ‘evista’ block will be held only on Monday at the Villa Tunari stadium in the midst of tensions with President Luis Arce’s ‘arcista’ block.
Arce and Morales have been away since 2021, and last year their differences were deepened by a national party congress in which, in the absence of the president and his loyal sectors, Evo Morales was ratified as leader of the MAS and elected “single candidate” for the 2025 presidential elections.
Arce and Vice President David Choquehuanca were not at that meeting considering that social organizations, the basis of the party, were not represented as they should be.
Tensions increased after the TSE decided to cancel the 2023 congress and instruct a new consensual one to be convened.
Last May, the sectors close to the president held a congress in El Alto, but the electoral authority rejected that meeting because it did not comply with the party’s regulations.
The electoral body stressed that both groups must agree on a new meeting, however, the Evo Morales bloc already had the date to hold the congress for July 10, but it anticipated it to June 10.
International
Actress Hayden Panettiere Dies at 36, Representative Confirms
Actress Hayden Panettiere has died at the age of 36, her representative confirmed to CNN.
“It is with profound sadness that we share the tragic passing of our beloved Hayden. She was an incredible light and a force of nature who brought immeasurable love and joy to everyone who knew her, and to the millions who saw her on screen,” her father, Skip Panettiere, said in a statement to CNN.
The circumstances surrounding her death were not immediately known. ABC was the first outlet to report the news.
Panettiere rose to prominence in the late 2000s with her role as Claire Bennet in the television series “Heroes.” Her character was a cheerleader with the ability to heal herself, becoming one of the show’s most recognizable figures.
She later starred in the musical drama series “Nashville,” portraying Juliette Barnes, a young country music star whose career and personal life were central to the series.
Panettiere also appeared in the 2011 horror film “Scream 4” as Kirby Reed. She later returned to the franchise more than a decade later in “Scream VI.”
Her other notable film credits included “I Love You, Beth Cooper” and “Remember the Titans.”
Panettiere’s career spanned television and film, with roles that made her a familiar face to audiences from the 2000s onward.
International
Luigi Mangione Pleads Guilty to Killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson
Luigi Mangione admitted Friday to fatally shooting Brian Thompson, the CEO of UnitedHealthcare, the largest health insurance group in the United States, during an appearance before a federal judge.
The case shocked the U.S. business community and dates back to December 2024, when Mangione opened fire on Thompson, 50, on a Manhattan street. Prosecutors have described the attack as being motivated by Mangione’s opposition to the U.S. health insurance system.
“On the morning of December 4, I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan and he died,” Mangione said as he pleaded guilty to a federal stalking charge related to his pursuit of the executive.
Mangione, 28, is scheduled to be sentenced on December 18, and prosecutors have indicated that they will seek a life sentence.
In addition to the federal charges related to stalking Thompson, Mangione also faces a murder case brought by the state of New York.
Following his guilty plea in federal court, Mangione’s defense asked a state court to dismiss the state charges, arguing that prosecuting him again for the same conduct would violate protections against double jeopardy.
“We have just filed our motion in state court to explain why the charges should be dismissed under New York’s protections against double jeopardy,” Mangione’s attorney, Karen Friedman Agnifilo, said Friday.
Both the federal and state cases could result in a life sentence. Two other federal charges that initially carried the possibility of the death penalty were dismissed by a judge earlier this year.
International
ICE Plan to Equip Agents With Electric Shock Gloves Raises Abuse Concerns
Plans to equip U.S. immigration agents with gloves capable of delivering electric shocks are raising concerns over potential abuses by a law enforcement agency that critics accuse of using excessive force and providing inadequate training to its personnel.
The plan involves the potential purchase of electric-shock gloves for agents with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the agency primarily responsible for carrying out President Donald Trump’s campaign to deport millions of undocumented immigrants.
Democratic Representative Maxwell Frost criticized the proposal on X, arguing that the agency has already faced accusations of excessive force during immigration enforcement operations.
“As if assaulting and shooting people in the streets wasn’t enough,” Frost wrote. He also criticized the reported $20 million potential expenditure on the devices and called for greater restrictions on ICE.
The agency has faced growing scrutiny following a series of deadly shootings during immigration enforcement operations. Among the incidents were the deaths of two U.S. citizens in Minnesota in January who were participating in protests against the agency.
Critics have focused on the tactics used by ICE agents when detaining immigrants, as well as allegations that training standards for newly recruited personnel have been lowered.
According to a procurement plan first reported by the Associated Press, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which oversees ICE, could spend between $10 million and $20 million on the devices.
The gloves are described by the agency as tools intended for “distraction and de-escalation,” rather than lethal weapons. The system, known as GLOVE, stands for “Generated Low-Output Voltage Emitter.”
The device is manufactured by Compliant Technologies, a Kentucky-based company that describes its products as advanced non-lethal tools designed to protect and assist law enforcement and other personnel.
The proposal comes amid an intensifying national debate over ICE’s enforcement methods and the use of force during the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown.
-
International14 hours agoActress Hayden Panettiere Dies at 36, Representative Confirms
-
International4 days agoThree U.S. Executions Set for Same Day as Trump Pushes to Expand Death Penalty
-
International4 days agoColombia Earthquake Death Toll Reaches 265 as Rescue Teams Race Against Time
-
International3 days agoICE Plan to Equip Agents With Electric Shock Gloves Raises Abuse Concerns
-
International3 days agoLuigi Mangione Pleads Guilty to Killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson






























