International
Trump Delays Potential Iran Strikes as Regional Peace Talks Continue
Donald Trump announced a new deadline for potential military action against Iran, saying he would temporarily delay planned strikes while regional negotiators continue efforts to secure a peace agreement.
Speaking at the White House, Trump said he decided to postpone the operation after receiving requests from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates.
The U.S. president explained that the pause would remain in place for only a limited period, adding that discussions could continue through the end of the week or early next week.
Trump also warned that military action remained a possibility if negotiations fail to produce results, stressing that the United States could not allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon.
“Maybe we’ll have to hit them again,” Trump said, referring to Iran while reiterating his willingness to resume military operations if necessary.
International
FAO Urges Urgent Action as Hormuz Disruption Threatens Global Food Supply
A prolonged closure of the Strait of Hormuz could trigger a “systemic agri-food shock” capable of causing a major global food price crisis within six to twelve months, the Food and Agriculture Organization warned on Wednesday.
Before the recent attacks launched by United States and Israel against Iran, roughly one-fifth of the world’s seaborne oil shipments passed through the strategic waterway.
The UN agency said the disruption should not be viewed as a temporary shipping issue, but rather as the beginning of a broader global agro-food crisis with potential long-term economic consequences.
The FAO urged governments to establish alternative trade routes, avoid export restrictions, protect humanitarian supply chains and build reserves to absorb rising transportation costs.
Máximo Torero said countries must urgently strengthen their resilience and prepare for the potential impact of disruptions linked to the maritime bottleneck.
According to the organization, the window for preventive action is rapidly closing.
International
U.S. Sanctions Alleged Sinaloa Cartel Money Launderers Linked to Fentanyl Trade
The U.S. Department of the Treasury announced sanctions on Wednesday against more than a dozen individuals and companies allegedly linked to Mexico’s Sinaloa Cartel, accusing them of laundering money connected to fentanyl trafficking operations.
Among those targeted are Armando Ojeda Avilés, identified by U.S. authorities as a leading money laundering operator for the cartel, and Jesús “Chuy” González Peñuela, who has been subject to a $5 million reward since January 2024.
According to the sanctions list released by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), other individuals sanctioned include Jesús Alonso Aispuro, described as the network’s financial chief, and Rodrigo Alarcón Palomares, accused of overseeing cash collection operations in the United States.
Relatives of the alleged cartel figures were also sanctioned for managing businesses reportedly tied to the network, including the security company Grupo Especial Mamba Negra and the restaurant Gorditas Chiwas in Chihuahua, Mexico.
The Sinaloa Cartel was designated a narcoterrorist organization last year under an order issued by U.S. President Donald Trump and has since become a major focus of U.S. law enforcement efforts.
Two weeks ago, prosecutors in New York’s Southern District accused Sinaloa Governor Rubén Rocha Moya and several associates of collaborating with the cartel, a development that increased tensions with the administration of Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum.
International
Gabriel García Luna Pledges to Restore Public Trust in Guatemala’s Prosecutor’s Office
The new head of Public Ministry of Guatemala, Gabriel García Luna, announced during his first press conference that the institution will undergo a technical and legal review aimed at restoring public confidence in the country’s justice system.
García Luna also confirmed the closure of the Special Prosecutor’s Office Against Impunity, known as FECI, a unit that handled several high-profile and controversial corruption cases during the administration of his predecessor, Consuelo Porras, who has been sanctioned by more than 40 countries.
Porras’ tenure was marked by actions aimed at preventing the inauguration of President Bernardo Arévalo in 2024, as well as legal proceedings against former prosecutors, anti-corruption judges, journalists, and Indigenous leaders, many of whom later went into exile.
Due to these actions, the 72-year-old former official faced sanctions imposed by the United States, the European Union, as well as countries such as Canada and the United Kingdom.
“Starting tomorrow [Monday], the Special Prosecutor’s Office Against Impunity enters a liquidation phase because, unfortunately, it has lost public credibility,” García Luna stated during his first appearance before the media.
-
Central America5 days agoArévalo Announces Overhaul of Guatemala’s Prison System Amid Security Crisis
-
Central America3 days agoGuatemala swears in new attorney general after controversial exit of Consuelo Porras
-
International21 hours agoGabriel García Luna Pledges to Restore Public Trust in Guatemala’s Prosecutor’s Office
-
Central America5 days agoMulino Vows Tougher Crackdown as Homicides Increase in Panama
-
Central America21 hours agoNicaragua’s Alliances With U.S. Rivals Could Trigger More Sanctions, Analysis Says
-
International1 hour agoU.S. Sanctions Alleged Sinaloa Cartel Money Launderers Linked to Fentanyl Trade
-
International1 hour agoFAO Urges Urgent Action as Hormuz Disruption Threatens Global Food Supply

























