Internacionales
Mexico extradites 29 alleged drug traffickers to the U.S. Amid Trump’s pressure
Mexican authorities announced on Thursday the extradition of 29 alleged drug traffickers to the United States, amid growing pressure from Donald Trump’s administration to curb fentanyl smuggling.
The extradition was confirmed by Mexico’s Public Security Secretariat and the Attorney General’s Office, though they did not disclose the names of those extradited, who had been held in various Mexican prisons.
However, Mexican media reports suggest that among them is Rafael Caro Quintero, a veteran drug trafficker wanted by the United States for the 1985 murder of DEA agent Enrique “Kiki” Camarena.
Reports also indicate that Omar and Miguel Ángel Treviño Morales, former leaders of the now-defunct and violent Zetas cartel, were included in the extradition.
The move coincides with a scheduled meeting in Washington between Mexican authorities and U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, along with other American officials, to discuss trade and anti-narcotics efforts.
This meeting is part of Mexico’s broader efforts to prevent Washington from imposing a 25% tariff on Mexican imports starting March 4.
Trump has accused both Mexico and Canada, U.S. partners in the USMCA free trade agreement, of allowing the trafficking of drugs and undocumented migrants into American territory.
In a statement, Mexican officials confirmed that the extraditions were requested by the U.S. Department of Justice.
“This action falls within the framework of bilateral coordination, cooperation, and reciprocity, with full respect for the sovereignty of both nations,” the statement added.
Internacionales
Major winter storm threatens “catastrophic” ice and snow across much of the U.S.
A major winter storm is threatening to blanket large portions of the United States with a dangerous mix of freezing rain and heavy snowfall, potentially creating “catastrophic” conditions across areas home to nearly 160 million people.
Several U.S. states have declared a state of emergency as the Arctic blast advances from the California coast across much of the continental United States, affecting central regions, including the Rocky Mountains and the Great Plains, according to forecasts.
The National Weather Service warned the storm could cause a “catastrophic accumulation of ice,” leading to prolonged power outages, widespread tree damage, and extremely dangerous or impassable travel conditions.
Meteorologist Ryan Maue cautioned that “the next 10 days of winter will be the worst in 40 years in the United States.”
“Think about where you can go, what you can do, and who may need even more help to survive the coming week. This is not an exaggeration or a joke,” Maue said.
He urged residents to prepare for temperatures dropping below -18°C (0°F).
More than 1,500 weekend flights had already been canceled, according to flight tracker FlightAware, including numerous flights in Texas.
In the southern state, many residents still recall the devastation caused by a similar storm in February 2021, which resulted in more than 200 deaths linked to hypothermia, carbon monoxide poisoning, and traffic accidents.
Texas authorities have assured the public that the power grid, which suffered widespread failures during that storm and left millions without electricity, is better prepared to withstand the extreme weather this time.
Internacionales
Juan Orlando Hernández’s family takes time to decide next steps after surprise U.S. release
Ana García, the wife of former Honduran president Juan Orlando Hernández, who was pardoned on Monday by U.S. President Donald Trump after being sentenced in 2024 to 45 years in prison on drug trafficking and firearms charges, told EFE on Wednesday that the family has not yet decided whether he will return to Honduras.
“We have not made any decision about that yet. Everything is still very recent, and as a family we are going to take the time to reflect carefully and make wise decisions thinking about the well-being of Juan Orlando, our children, and all our families,” García said at her residence in Tegucigalpa.
García wore around her neck her husband’s wedding ring, which she has kept since Hernández was held at a special police detention facility known as the ‘Cobras’ on the day of his arrest, February 15, 2022.
“We are still deciding many things. He has just been released, it has not even been 48 hours since he got out. So we are taking things calmly,” she reiterated.
She also explained that since she does not have a U.S. visa — revoked after her husband was requested for extradition following the end of his presidency in January 2022 — she has not been able to see him, but said she is “awaiting some form of communication from the United States” in order to do so.
García declined to reveal where in the United States her husband is currently located, although she stressed that she is confident she will have an opportunity to reunite with him.
Internacionales
One killed, 188 evacuated as wind-driven blaze rips through Kyushu neighborhood
One person died and 188 residents were evacuated after a massive fire swept through at least 170 buildings in a residential area on the island of Kyushu, southern Japan, authorities reported on Wednesday.
The regional government confirmed one fatality. Public broadcaster NHK reported that police, who had been searching for a missing 76-year-old man, found a body inside his home.
Footage recorded on Tuesday night showed firefighters spraying water on towering flames engulfing homes, while residents were escorted to an improvised evacuation center.
“The flames rose so high they turned the sky red. The wind was strong. I never imagined it would spread so far,” a man told NHK.
“I was shaking with fear. I had never seen a column of fire like that,” another witness said.
The fire broke out late Tuesday, with at least 170 buildings affected. According to NHK, the blaze spread rapidly, likely fueled by a lack of rainfall, dry air, and the tightly packed wooden houses characteristic of the area.
-
Central America3 days agoWashington Imposes Visa Ban on La Modelo Director Amid Crackdown in Nicaragua
-
International4 days agoFather Faces Murder Charges in Georgia School Shooting Case
-
International2 days agoTop U.S. Military Commander Meets Interim Venezuelan Leaders After Maduro’s Capture
-
International3 days agoBayly Says Trump ‘Gets Along Better With Dictators’ and Criticizes U.S.–Venezuela Policy
-
International3 days agoRubio Engages in Quiet Discussions With Castro Family as U.S. Pressures Havana
-
International3 days agoMaduro and Cilia Flores Receive Consular Visit in U.S. Jail Ahead of March 26 Hearing
-
International20 hours agoThree Injured in Mail Package Explosion at Buenos Aires Gendarmerie Academy
-
International4 days agoSpanish Government Targets ‘Big Tech Impunity’ in AI Image Scandal
-
International20 hours agoU.S. Targets Members of Outgoing Boric Administration With Visa Revocations
-
Sin categoría2 days agoFormer South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol Sentenced to Life for Insurrection
-
International4 hours agoTrump Defies Supreme Court With New 10% Global Tariff
-
Central America5 days agoGuatemala’s Attorney General Consuelo Porras Loses Bid for Constitutional Court Seat























