International
Trump appoints new members to his government cabinet
The president-elect of the United States, Donald Trump, announced four new nominations for his government cabinet, some of which will have to be ratified by the US Senate starting January 20, 2025.
The most controversial of them is that of Russell Thurlow Vought, one of the “architectures” of the ultra-conservative government program Project 2025, to be at the head of the Office of Management and Budget of his future Administration.
Vought, 48, was already in charge of that same portfolio during part of Trump’s first term (2017-2021).
“He did an excellent job: we removed four regulations for each new regulation, and it was a great success!” he said in a statement from his transition team.
A “cost reducer” in the cabinet
Trump recalled that Vought has spent many years working on public policies in Washington and is an “aggressive cost reducer and deregulator” who will help his government cabinet implement his “United States first” agenda in all agencies.
“He knows exactly how to dismantle the deep State (…) and will help us return self-government to the people,” added the future president about his chosen one.
An ex-NFL to Urban Planning and Housing
He also nominated in the Urban Planning and Housing portfolio of his future Administration the former American football player Scott Turner, who spent nine seasons in the National League of American Football (NFL) with the Washington Redskins, the San Diego Chargers and the Denver Broncos.
During Trump’s first term (2017-2021) Turner served as the first executive director of the White House’s revitalization and opportunity office, dedicated to the most needy communities.
According to the statement of the transition team, these areas received thanks to their work about 50 billion dollars (about 48 billion euros) in private investment.
Trump also pointed out that Turner, originally from Texas, is a pastor at the Prestonwood Baptist Church.
“He will work with me to make the United States great again for EVERY American,” said the New York tycoon, who also congratulated the appointment of the woman and the son of his chosen one.
The Work portfolio at the hands of a Latina
On the other hand, the congresswoman of Latin origin Lori Chavez-DeRemer will be his next Secretary of Labor.
“He has worked tirelessly with the business and labor sector to develop the workforce of the United States and support working men and women,” said the former president, who won the elections on November 5 against Democrat Kamala Harris.
As the congresswoman explained so far, her grandmother’s family emigrated to the United States from Mexico so that her children could live a better life and achieve their American dream.
“I am proud of my Latin roots and the achievements achieved by the Hispanic community in our great country,” she said in a Facebook post.
Chavez-DeRemer began her career in public service in 2002 at the Parks Committee of the city of Happy Valley, Oregon, and later won a position on the City Council, of which she was later president.
She was elected mayor in 2010, becoming the first Latino mayor of the municipality, and re-elected in 2014.
In 2022 she was elected to the US House of Representatives to represent the fifth district of the Oregon Congress.
A billionaire to take care of the Treasury
For the cabinet’s Treasury portfolio, Trump trusted billionaire Scott Bessent, investor and fund manager.
Bessent is the founder of the macro-investment firm Key Square Group, in the last election campaign he hosted a fundraising event for the Republican in South Carolina and Trump has described him in the past as one of the brightest minds on Wall Street.
In the event that his nomination is confirmed and validated by the Senate, Bessent awaits Bessen a crucial role in overseeing a broad portfolio that will cover international trade, taxes, financial regulation and US sanctions.
The Washington Post newspaper pointed out that people close to Trump’s transition team point out that the financier caught his attention in part because of his negative predictions about the impact of a possible Democratic victory in the elections of last November 5.
Bessent, who studied at Yale, was manager of George Soros’ fortune, but left the investor and philanthropist’s firm to set up his own fund.
International
Mexico and Guatemala Agree on Five-Point Binational Plan for 2027
Mexico and Guatemala agreed Tuesday on a 2027 Binational Plan built around five areas of cooperation, along with a schedule of meetings and initiatives aimed at making progress by the end of 2026 on security, border infrastructure, human mobility, development and technical and social cooperation.
The agreement was announced by the foreign ministers of both countries following a meeting in Mexico City.
Mexican Foreign Minister Roberto Velasco said the plan will establish the “direction and priorities” of bilateral relations for next year. His Guatemalan counterpart, Carlos Ramiro Martínez, said the meeting allowed both governments to make decisions, schedule activities and revitalize bilateral cooperation mechanisms.
Security and border infrastructure
In the area of security, the two governments have nearly completed negotiations on a new memorandum of understanding for the Mexico-Guatemala High-Level Security Group (Ganseg), which was reactivated in 2025.
The countries expect to sign the agreement in the coming months to strengthen coordination and their ability to respond to shared security threats.
Regarding their nearly 1,000-kilometer shared border, Mexico and Guatemala agreed to advance infrastructure improvements at border crossings and continue work on a joint cargo clearance program between Ciudad Hidalgo and Tecún Umán, two border areas separated by the Suchiate River.
The measures are intended to facilitate bilateral trade while making cross-border exchanges safer and more efficient.
The two governments will also continue defining a route toward a railway connection between their countries through Line K of Mexico’s Interoceanic Corridor of the Isthmus of Tehuantepec (CIIT), with the aim of strengthening economic and community ties.
Migration and development
On human mobility, Mexico and Guatemala will maintain coordination to ensure safe, orderly and dignified returns, while strengthening protection for people in transit.
The bilateral agenda also includes a second phase of the Sembrando Vida program in Guatemala, which is expected to benefit 10,000 people across 15 departments.
Both countries will also advance initiatives under Juntos para el Bienestar, as well as six technical, scientific and energy cooperation projects approved by the Joint Commission.
The agreements seek to strengthen bilateral ties and establish concrete priorities for cooperation between Mexico and Guatemala during 2027.
International
France to Expel Two Iranian Diplomats Over Alleged Attack on French Officials
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot announced Tuesday, August 18, 2026, that France will expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris described as an attack on two French representatives in Iran last month.
“Two French diplomats were scandalously and deliberately assaulted on July 19. I had announced that this intolerable act would have consequences. It has now happened. Two Iranian diplomats in France will be expelled in the coming days,” Barrot said in a message posted on X.
The two Iranian diplomats have been declared persona non grata and will be required to leave France within the coming days, according to the French foreign minister.
About a month ago, Barrot said that two members of the French diplomatic staff had been detained by Iranian security forces for several hours. One of them was also subjected to harassment, he said.
The French government described the incident as an “extremely serious act of intimidation” that violated diplomatic immunity.
The two French embassy staff members were working on programs supporting Iranian civil society, particularly initiatives involving artists and researchers.
Iran has denied France’s allegations regarding the incident. The diplomatic dispute comes amid already strained relations between Paris and Tehran.
International
Heat wave puts more than 70 million Americans under alerts as temperatures near 46°C
More than 70 million people remained under heat alerts Monday as an intense heat wave continued across the southern United States, particularly Florida and states along the Mexican border, where temperatures and heat indexes could reach as high as 46 degrees Celsius, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).
Several cities recorded or tied temperature records over the weekend and into Monday, including Miami and Fort Lauderdale in Florida; Laredo, Borger and Austin’s airport in Texas; Atlanta, Georgia; Raleigh and Charlotte, North Carolina; and Memphis, Tennessee.
The NWS warned that the heat wave will continue affecting the southern and southeastern United States, with maximum temperatures expected to remain near 38°C to 40°C for several days. The heat index, which combines temperature and humidity to estimate how hot conditions feel, could reach 46°C.
The extreme heat is also spreading into the Southwest, where temperatures began rising again between Monday and Tuesday. Forecast highs in the region range from about 38°C to 43°C.
Heat alerts remain in effect across Nevada, Arizona and California, including areas in southern Arizona and California near the Mexican border, as authorities warn of the risks posed by prolonged extreme temperatures.
The NWS urged residents to limit outdoor activity, stay hydrated, ensure access to air conditioning or cooling centers, and check on vulnerable friends, neighbors and family members.
The United States is experiencing a summer marked by above-average temperatures and repeated heat waves. One of the most intense episodes occurred during the July 4 weekend, when extreme heat was blamed for roughly 30 deaths.
July was the hottest month ever recorded in the United States since measurements began, with the average temperature across the contiguous country approaching 25°C, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
The combination of extreme heat and drought conditions has also fueled wildfires. Nearly 3 million hectares have burned across the country so far in 2026, making it the largest area affected by wildfires in a decade.
-
International13 hours agoFrance to Expel Two Iranian Diplomats Over Alleged Attack on French Officials
-
International3 days agoActress Hayden Panettiere Dies at 36, Representative Confirms
-
International2 days agoTrump warns Iran over nuclear ambitions as U.S.-Iran ceasefire deadline passes
-
International2 days agoHeat wave puts more than 70 million Americans under alerts as temperatures near 46°C
-
International2 days agoBrazil’s Lula and Flávio Bolsonaro kick off election campaigns amid focus on crime
-
International13 hours agoMexico and Guatemala Agree on Five-Point Binational Plan for 2027
-
International5 days agoLuigi Mangione Pleads Guilty to Killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson
-
International5 days agoICE Plan to Equip Agents With Electric Shock Gloves Raises Abuse Concerns






























