Connect with us

International

Kamala Harris defends her economic plan on television and reveals that she owns a gun

The US vice president and Democratic candidate for the White House, Kamala Harris, addressed in an interview on the program ’60 minutes’ of CBS News the right of Americans to possession of weapons, by saying that she owns a Glock pistol, and explaining her economic plan.

“I have a Glock and I’ve had it for quite some time,” Harris told journalist Bill Whitaker during an interview in an election special of the well-known program.

When asked if he had fired the gun, Harris sketched his characteristic smile and nodded. “Yes… In a shooting range. Yes, of course.”

Former President Donald Trump (2017-2021) has suggested that if Harris reaches the presidency he would try to limit the right to possession of weapons contemplated in the Second Amendment of the Constitution, something that the Democratic candidate has denied.

“I have the best plan”: Harris

Harris took advantage of the interview on the well-known program to talk about his proposals, especially those that point to the economy, one of the most important issues of voters in the United States, and to promote that his proposal is the best.

“Now we have an economy that is thriving according to all macroeconomic indicators,” he highlighted the achievements of the Government of President Joe Biden and promised to continue with the low unemployment figures.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Harris was asked how she will face the $3,000 trillion deficit facing the country, to which she replied that she will increase taxes on high-income people and hopes that Congressional leaders are willing to support her.

“There are many leaders in Congress who understand and know that Trump’s tax cuts exploded our federal deficit,” warned the vice president, who indicated that she is “a capitalist,” who knows the limitations of the Government.

Response to wars

The Democrat answered questions about the conflict in Israel and Gaza, just as the first anniversary of the Hamas attack, and assured that there is a need to end this war. However, he avoided answering several questions about whether Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is “disobeying” the United States.

He warned that he would not meet bilaterally with Russian President Vladimir Putin to negotiate a solution that would end the war in Ukraine. “Ukraine must have a say in the future of Ukraine,” he said.

He also asked him to deepen immigration and the Biden Government’s response to contain the high number of irregular immigrants. “It’s a long-standing problem. And the solutions are at your fingertips. And since day one, we have literally been offering solutions,” he said.

Harris took advantage of the interview to attack Trump for canceling an interview with this program last week and preferring his rallies, where “he only talks about himself” and is dedicated to throwing grievances, he said.

The Democratic aspirant remains in the lead in voting intentions. According to the average of polls prepared by the FiveThirtyEight website, it is ahead of Trump by 2.5 percentage points at the federal level, although in key states that difference is not so significant.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

International

Mexico and Guatemala Agree on Five-Point Binational Plan for 2027

Mexico and Guatemala agreed Tuesday on a 2027 Binational Plan built around five areas of cooperation, along with a schedule of meetings and initiatives aimed at making progress by the end of 2026 on security, border infrastructure, human mobility, development and technical and social cooperation.

The agreement was announced by the foreign ministers of both countries following a meeting in Mexico City.

Mexican Foreign Minister Roberto Velasco said the plan will establish the “direction and priorities” of bilateral relations for next year. His Guatemalan counterpart, Carlos Ramiro Martínez, said the meeting allowed both governments to make decisions, schedule activities and revitalize bilateral cooperation mechanisms.

Security and border infrastructure

In the area of security, the two governments have nearly completed negotiations on a new memorandum of understanding for the Mexico-Guatemala High-Level Security Group (Ganseg), which was reactivated in 2025.

The countries expect to sign the agreement in the coming months to strengthen coordination and their ability to respond to shared security threats.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Regarding their nearly 1,000-kilometer shared border, Mexico and Guatemala agreed to advance infrastructure improvements at border crossings and continue work on a joint cargo clearance program between Ciudad Hidalgo and Tecún Umán, two border areas separated by the Suchiate River.

The measures are intended to facilitate bilateral trade while making cross-border exchanges safer and more efficient.

The two governments will also continue defining a route toward a railway connection between their countries through Line K of Mexico’s Interoceanic Corridor of the Isthmus of Tehuantepec (CIIT), with the aim of strengthening economic and community ties.

Migration and development

On human mobility, Mexico and Guatemala will maintain coordination to ensure safe, orderly and dignified returns, while strengthening protection for people in transit.

The bilateral agenda also includes a second phase of the Sembrando Vida program in Guatemala, which is expected to benefit 10,000 people across 15 departments.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Both countries will also advance initiatives under Juntos para el Bienestar, as well as six technical, scientific and energy cooperation projects approved by the Joint Commission.

The agreements seek to strengthen bilateral ties and establish concrete priorities for cooperation between Mexico and Guatemala during 2027.

Continue Reading

International

France to Expel Two Iranian Diplomats Over Alleged Attack on French Officials

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot announced Tuesday, August 18, 2026, that France will expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris described as an attack on two French representatives in Iran last month.

“Two French diplomats were scandalously and deliberately assaulted on July 19. I had announced that this intolerable act would have consequences. It has now happened. Two Iranian diplomats in France will be expelled in the coming days,” Barrot said in a message posted on X.

The two Iranian diplomats have been declared persona non grata and will be required to leave France within the coming days, according to the French foreign minister.

About a month ago, Barrot said that two members of the French diplomatic staff had been detained by Iranian security forces for several hours. One of them was also subjected to harassment, he said.

The French government described the incident as an “extremely serious act of intimidation” that violated diplomatic immunity.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The two French embassy staff members were working on programs supporting Iranian civil society, particularly initiatives involving artists and researchers.

Iran has denied France’s allegations regarding the incident. The diplomatic dispute comes amid already strained relations between Paris and Tehran.

Continue Reading

International

Heat wave puts more than 70 million Americans under alerts as temperatures near 46°C

36 deaths reported due to heat wave in Nuevo Leon, Mexico

More than 70 million people remained under heat alerts Monday as an intense heat wave continued across the southern United States, particularly Florida and states along the Mexican border, where temperatures and heat indexes could reach as high as 46 degrees Celsius, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).

Several cities recorded or tied temperature records over the weekend and into Monday, including Miami and Fort Lauderdale in Florida; Laredo, Borger and Austin’s airport in Texas; Atlanta, Georgia; Raleigh and Charlotte, North Carolina; and Memphis, Tennessee.

The NWS warned that the heat wave will continue affecting the southern and southeastern United States, with maximum temperatures expected to remain near 38°C to 40°C for several days. The heat index, which combines temperature and humidity to estimate how hot conditions feel, could reach 46°C.

The extreme heat is also spreading into the Southwest, where temperatures began rising again between Monday and Tuesday. Forecast highs in the region range from about 38°C to 43°C.

Heat alerts remain in effect across Nevada, Arizona and California, including areas in southern Arizona and California near the Mexican border, as authorities warn of the risks posed by prolonged extreme temperatures.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The NWS urged residents to limit outdoor activity, stay hydrated, ensure access to air conditioning or cooling centers, and check on vulnerable friends, neighbors and family members.

The United States is experiencing a summer marked by above-average temperatures and repeated heat waves. One of the most intense episodes occurred during the July 4 weekend, when extreme heat was blamed for roughly 30 deaths.

July was the hottest month ever recorded in the United States since measurements began, with the average temperature across the contiguous country approaching 25°C, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The combination of extreme heat and drought conditions has also fueled wildfires. Nearly 3 million hectares have burned across the country so far in 2026, making it the largest area affected by wildfires in a decade.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

Trending

Central News