International
Macron: the return of dialogue in New Caledonia will not be made with institutional setback
The French president, Emmanuel Macron, held a first meeting with political leaders in New Caledonia on Thursday to try to relaunch a dialogue between communities that puts an end to the riots, without an institutional setback.
Macron bet on the return to calm, but warned that this cannot be done by reversing the institutional level, specifically on the result of the three self-determination referendums held in that territory of the South Pacific in recent years.
“The appeasement cannot be not respecting the popular expression that has already been manifested,” he said, according to the images of the meeting disclosed by the Elysée.
However, Macron did not clarify whether the controversial constitutional law that opens the electoral census of the territory, whose approval in the French Parliament unleashed the wave of protests at the beginning of last week, will be maintained.
At the beginning of the meeting, a minute of silence was observed for the six deaths of last week, four civilians and two gendarmes.
The meeting took place at the residence of the High Commissioner (Government delegate) in the autonomous territory, and attended by independence leaders such as the presidents of the regional government, Louis Mapou, and the president of the regional Congress, Roch Wamytan.
They also attended loyalist leaders, such as the president of the southern province (one of the three that make up the territory), Sonia Backès, or the mayor of the capital, Numea, Sonia Lagarde.
Macron was in favor of not renewing the state of emergency, declared by the Government last week and which expires on Monday the 27th, but he conditioned it to the return of the situation to normal and all the barricades on roads and streets mounted by independence groups to be removed.
He also said that the reinforcement of a thousand police and gendarmes sent last week to reinforce the 1,700 agents already present in the territory will remain “as long as necessary,” even until the end of the Olympic and Paralympic Games. The latter conclude on September 8.
Macron arrived on Thursday morning local time in the territory for a visit of about twelve hours, with the aim of giving a boost to the dialogue.
Although the situation has improved with respect to the worst moments of last week, it has not yet fully normalized.
A large part of the population continues to have problems with access to food and basic hygiene products due to the destruction of shops and travel difficulties, according to local media.
On the other hand, the damage of the riots amounts to about one billion euros, as reported today by the Chamber of Commerce of Industry, with about 200 companies burned and more than 2,000 unemployed workers.
International
Luigi Mangione Pleads Guilty to Killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson
Luigi Mangione admitted Friday to fatally shooting Brian Thompson, the CEO of UnitedHealthcare, the largest health insurance group in the United States, during an appearance before a federal judge.
The case shocked the U.S. business community and dates back to December 2024, when Mangione opened fire on Thompson, 50, on a Manhattan street. Prosecutors have described the attack as being motivated by Mangione’s opposition to the U.S. health insurance system.
“On the morning of December 4, I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan and he died,” Mangione said as he pleaded guilty to a federal stalking charge related to his pursuit of the executive.
Mangione, 28, is scheduled to be sentenced on December 18, and prosecutors have indicated that they will seek a life sentence.
In addition to the federal charges related to stalking Thompson, Mangione also faces a murder case brought by the state of New York.
Following his guilty plea in federal court, Mangione’s defense asked a state court to dismiss the state charges, arguing that prosecuting him again for the same conduct would violate protections against double jeopardy.
“We have just filed our motion in state court to explain why the charges should be dismissed under New York’s protections against double jeopardy,” Mangione’s attorney, Karen Friedman Agnifilo, said Friday.
Both the federal and state cases could result in a life sentence. Two other federal charges that initially carried the possibility of the death penalty were dismissed by a judge earlier this year.
International
ICE Plan to Equip Agents With Electric Shock Gloves Raises Abuse Concerns
Plans to equip U.S. immigration agents with gloves capable of delivering electric shocks are raising concerns over potential abuses by a law enforcement agency that critics accuse of using excessive force and providing inadequate training to its personnel.
The plan involves the potential purchase of electric-shock gloves for agents with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the agency primarily responsible for carrying out President Donald Trump’s campaign to deport millions of undocumented immigrants.
Democratic Representative Maxwell Frost criticized the proposal on X, arguing that the agency has already faced accusations of excessive force during immigration enforcement operations.
“As if assaulting and shooting people in the streets wasn’t enough,” Frost wrote. He also criticized the reported $20 million potential expenditure on the devices and called for greater restrictions on ICE.
The agency has faced growing scrutiny following a series of deadly shootings during immigration enforcement operations. Among the incidents were the deaths of two U.S. citizens in Minnesota in January who were participating in protests against the agency.
Critics have focused on the tactics used by ICE agents when detaining immigrants, as well as allegations that training standards for newly recruited personnel have been lowered.
According to a procurement plan first reported by the Associated Press, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which oversees ICE, could spend between $10 million and $20 million on the devices.
The gloves are described by the agency as tools intended for “distraction and de-escalation,” rather than lethal weapons. The system, known as GLOVE, stands for “Generated Low-Output Voltage Emitter.”
The device is manufactured by Compliant Technologies, a Kentucky-based company that describes its products as advanced non-lethal tools designed to protect and assist law enforcement and other personnel.
The proposal comes amid an intensifying national debate over ICE’s enforcement methods and the use of force during the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown.
International
Three U.S. Executions Set for Same Day as Trump Pushes to Expand Death Penalty
The death penalty has been abolished in 23 of the 50 U.S. states, while three others —California, Oregon and Pennsylvania— currently have moratoriums in place.
The United States is set to carry out three executions on the same day, a rare occurrence that has not happened since 2010, according to the nonprofit Death Penalty Information Center.
President Donald Trump has sought to expand the use of capital punishment for what he describes as “the most heinous crimes.” In April, the Department of Justice proposed expanding execution methods to include firing squads, lethal gas and electrocution.
Tennessee is scheduled to execute Anthony Darrell Dugard Hines, 66, on Thursday. He was sentenced to death for the 1985 murder of a woman, according to local media.
In Oklahoma, Carlos Cuesta-Rodríguez, 70, is scheduled to be executed for a 2003 murder.
Meanwhile, Alabama plans to execute Jeremy Williams, 42, who was sentenced to death for the rape and murder of a five-year-old girl.
The United States carried out 47 executions in 2025, the highest number since 2009, when 52 executions were recorded.
Florida conducted the largest number of executions last year, with 19, followed by Alabama, South Carolina and Texas, with five each.
Of the executions carried out in 2025, 39 were conducted by lethal injection. Three were carried out by firing squad and five through nitrogen hypoxia, a method that involves forcing nitrogen gas into a face mask, depriving the prisoner of oxygen.
The United Nations has condemned nitrogen gas as a cruel and inhumane method of capital punishment.
-
International3 days agoThree U.S. Executions Set for Same Day as Trump Pushes to Expand Death Penalty
-
International3 days agoColombia Earthquake Death Toll Reaches 265 as Rescue Teams Race Against Time
-
International2 days agoLuigi Mangione Pleads Guilty to Killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson
-
International2 days agoICE Plan to Equip Agents With Electric Shock Gloves Raises Abuse Concerns






























