Connect with us

International

Macron travels to New Caledonia in the face of the wave of riots

he French president, Emmanuel Macron, will travel this afternoon for a “mission” of dialogue in the territory of New Caledonia, which has been suffering a wat of riots for nine days.

The presidential trip was announced by the Government’s spokeswoman, Prisca Thevenot, after the weekly Council of Ministers, in which the situation in that autonomous French archipelago of the South Pacific was discussed, where a clear improvement has been observed in recent days, although without the calm having been totally restored.

Macron’s decision comes after the requests of regional leaders and legislators of overseas territories, who had asked the head of state for a process of dialogue to try to close the cause of the riots, which is the reform of the electoral census of the territory.

The riots were widespread on Tuesday of last week after the National Assembly approved the opening of that census, which has been blocked since 1998, the date of the Numea agreements.

As prosecutors Yves Dupas denounced today, those riots were planned. So far, about 400 companies and shops have been destroyed or damaged in the capital, Nouméa, and its surroundings, have caused 6 deaths and destroyed or damaged.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

“The chain of events suggests a preparation, an organization and a planning in terms of logistics and media,” said the prosecutor, in an interview published on Tuesday by a local newspaper.

He also points out that, despite the progressive reduction of violence after the sending of a reinforcement of a thousand police and gendarmes, “there are still hot spots of violence” fed by “decided” people who continue to shoot at the security forces.

Following the beginning of the protests, Macron proposed to postpone the entry into force of the census reform and initiate political dialogue between all parties, something that he will predictably do on his trip to Numea, the duration of which has not yet been specified.

The Numea agreements established the organization of three self-determination referendums, which were held in 2018, 2020 and 2022. In the first two, the rejection of independence won by a decreasing margin (56.67 and 53.26%, respectively).

The third was celebrated with controversy, since the independence fighters boycotted him after asking for his postponement due to a wave of coronavirus. In those circumstances, the ‘no’ achieved 96.5% but with a participation of 43.87%.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The territory, made up of three very separate archipelagos, is also characterized by strong social inequalities and faces an economic downturn due to the fall in the international price of nickel, the main source of income.

Tourism is not as developed as in the other French territory of the Pacific, Polynesia.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

International

Luigi Mangione Pleads Guilty to Killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson

Luigi Mangione admitted Friday to fatally shooting Brian Thompson, the CEO of UnitedHealthcare, the largest health insurance group in the United States, during an appearance before a federal judge.

The case shocked the U.S. business community and dates back to December 2024, when Mangione opened fire on Thompson, 50, on a Manhattan street. Prosecutors have described the attack as being motivated by Mangione’s opposition to the U.S. health insurance system.

“On the morning of December 4, I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan and he died,” Mangione said as he pleaded guilty to a federal stalking charge related to his pursuit of the executive.

Mangione, 28, is scheduled to be sentenced on December 18, and prosecutors have indicated that they will seek a life sentence.

In addition to the federal charges related to stalking Thompson, Mangione also faces a murder case brought by the state of New York.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Following his guilty plea in federal court, Mangione’s defense asked a state court to dismiss the state charges, arguing that prosecuting him again for the same conduct would violate protections against double jeopardy.

“We have just filed our motion in state court to explain why the charges should be dismissed under New York’s protections against double jeopardy,” Mangione’s attorney, Karen Friedman Agnifilo, said Friday.

Both the federal and state cases could result in a life sentence. Two other federal charges that initially carried the possibility of the death penalty were dismissed by a judge earlier this year.

Continue Reading

International

ICE Plan to Equip Agents With Electric Shock Gloves Raises Abuse Concerns

Plans to equip U.S. immigration agents with gloves capable of delivering electric shocks are raising concerns over potential abuses by a law enforcement agency that critics accuse of using excessive force and providing inadequate training to its personnel.

The plan involves the potential purchase of electric-shock gloves for agents with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the agency primarily responsible for carrying out President Donald Trump’s campaign to deport millions of undocumented immigrants.

Democratic Representative Maxwell Frost criticized the proposal on X, arguing that the agency has already faced accusations of excessive force during immigration enforcement operations.

“As if assaulting and shooting people in the streets wasn’t enough,” Frost wrote. He also criticized the reported $20 million potential expenditure on the devices and called for greater restrictions on ICE.

The agency has faced growing scrutiny following a series of deadly shootings during immigration enforcement operations. Among the incidents were the deaths of two U.S. citizens in Minnesota in January who were participating in protests against the agency.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Critics have focused on the tactics used by ICE agents when detaining immigrants, as well as allegations that training standards for newly recruited personnel have been lowered.

According to a procurement plan first reported by the Associated Press, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which oversees ICE, could spend between $10 million and $20 million on the devices.

The gloves are described by the agency as tools intended for “distraction and de-escalation,” rather than lethal weapons. The system, known as GLOVE, stands for “Generated Low-Output Voltage Emitter.”

The device is manufactured by Compliant Technologies, a Kentucky-based company that describes its products as advanced non-lethal tools designed to protect and assist law enforcement and other personnel.

The proposal comes amid an intensifying national debate over ICE’s enforcement methods and the use of force during the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Three U.S. Executions Set for Same Day as Trump Pushes to Expand Death Penalty

The death penalty has been abolished in 23 of the 50 U.S. states, while three others —California, Oregon and Pennsylvania— currently have moratoriums in place.

The United States is set to carry out three executions on the same day, a rare occurrence that has not happened since 2010, according to the nonprofit Death Penalty Information Center.

President Donald Trump has sought to expand the use of capital punishment for what he describes as “the most heinous crimes.” In April, the Department of Justice proposed expanding execution methods to include firing squads, lethal gas and electrocution.

Tennessee is scheduled to execute Anthony Darrell Dugard Hines, 66, on Thursday. He was sentenced to death for the 1985 murder of a woman, according to local media.

In Oklahoma, Carlos Cuesta-Rodríguez, 70, is scheduled to be executed for a 2003 murder.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Meanwhile, Alabama plans to execute Jeremy Williams, 42, who was sentenced to death for the rape and murder of a five-year-old girl.

The United States carried out 47 executions in 2025, the highest number since 2009, when 52 executions were recorded.

Florida conducted the largest number of executions last year, with 19, followed by Alabama, South Carolina and Texas, with five each.

Of the executions carried out in 2025, 39 were conducted by lethal injection. Three were carried out by firing squad and five through nitrogen hypoxia, a method that involves forcing nitrogen gas into a face mask, depriving the prisoner of oxygen.

The United Nations has condemned nitrogen gas as a cruel and inhumane method of capital punishment.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

Trending

Central News