Connect with us

International

Robert Fico, Slovak Prime Minister, in serious condition after being shot

Slovakia is shocked by the attempted assassination of the prime minister, the populist Robert Fico, who is in a “critical” state after receiving several shots when he approached to greet a group of citizens in the town of Handlova, in the center of the country.

“He has been shot multiple times and currently his life is in danger,” says Fico’s Facebook account, which indicates that he was transferred by helicopter to the town of Banská Bystrica, about 65 kilometers from Handlová, where the attack took place.

The attack occurred at 13.00 GMT, after a council of ministers in the town of about 17,000 inhabitants, when Fico went to greet dozens of neighbors who were next to the Casa de la Cultural – where the government meeting was held – and who were behind a fence.

At that moment, when he had the politician very close, a 71-year-old man pulled out a gun and fired four or five times at Fico. The aggressor, who was arrested after the shooting, has a gun license and had previously shouted to Fico: “Robo (Robert), come closer.”

One of the bullets hit the politician in the abdominal cavity, although some witnesses claimed that he was hit on the sternum.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The prime minister was evacuated by his local bodyguards and transferred by helicopter to the hospital of Banská Bystrica, the regional capital. A statement from the Government points out that his condition is critical and that “the next few hours will be decisive.”

According to the Minister of Defense, Robert Kaliniak, the Prime Minister of Slovakia “fights for his life” in a “very complicated” operation at the Roosevelt Hospital in Banská Bystrica.

“His condition is extremely serious,” Kalinak added in an appearance before the press in which he indicated that the intervention lasted for three and a half hours.

Kalinak described the intervention as “very complicated” and added: “We all pray that the good constitution of the prime minister and modern medicine will do their job.”

Fico suffered a “polytrauma”, which affects two or more organs or that produces at least one wound that endangers the patient’s life, after being shot five times, and the politician continues to “fight for his life,” according to the head of Defense.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The police have identified the aggressor as Juraj C., from Levice, a city in the southwest of the country, and with a weapons license.
According to the Slovak press, the alleged attacker was a member of a literary club and in the past had worked as a security guard in a shopping center.

Eight years ago he announced on the internet that he was collecting signatures to create a political party called the Movement against Violence. “Violence is often a reaction of people, as a form of expression of discontent with the situation. We can be dissatisfied, but not violent!” he wrote then.

The acting president, Zuzana Caputová, strongly condemned the attack and called for calm and a stop to the rhetoric of hatred in the country, deeply polarized between supporters and opponents of the Government, formed by left-wing and far-right nationalists.

“I’m shocked. We are all shocked by the horrible attack on Prime Minister Robert Fico. A physical attack on the prime minister is first and foremost an attack on a person, but also an attack on democracy,” the president said.

“Any kind of violence is absolutely unacceptable. The rhetoric of hatred that we witness in society leads to acts of hatred. Please, let’s stop her!” he added.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Parliament suspended its sessions until May 21 and increased security measures.

The president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, condemned on Wednesday the “vile attack” against the Prime Minister of Slovakia, Robert Fico, who was shot today.

“I strongly condemn the vile attack on Prime Minister Robert Fico. These acts of violence have no place in our society and undermine democracy, our most precious common good. My thoughts are with Prime Minister Fico and his family,” Von der Leyen published on social network X.

The president of the Spanish Government, Pedro Sánchez, was also “horrified and outraged by the attack” against the Prime Minister of Slovakia, Robert Fico, and expressed Spain’s support for the politician, his family and that European country “in these extremely difficult times.”

“Nothing can justify violence,” Sánchez added in a message on the social network X published in Spanish and English.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

“I am deeply moved by the news of the attack on Prime Minister Robert Fico. I strongly condemn this horrible act of violence. Our thoughts are with Prime Minister Fico, his family and the Slovak people,” said the Prime Minister of Croatia, Andrej Plenkovic, on the social network X.

The head of the Slovenian government has also expressed his dismay at the attack. “I am dismayed by what has happened in Slovakia. I strongly condemn the attack on my Slovak colleague Fico and wish him a speedy recovery,” Robert Golob wrote on the X network.

The prime ministers of the United Kingdom, Rishi Sunak, and Ireland, Simon Harris, were “impacted” after learning of the attack against their Slovak counterpart, Robert Fico.

“Impressed to hear this horrible news. All our thoughts are with Prime Minister Fico and his family,” Sunak wrote on his account on the social network X, a message that was reposted by the country’s head of Foreign Affairs, David Cameron.

Meloni expressed on behalf of the Italian Government the “strongest condemnation of all forms of violence and attack on the fundamental principles of democracy and freedom.”

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Likewise, Russian President Vladimir Putin has also described the attack as a “horrible crime.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

International

Heat wave puts more than 70 million Americans under alerts as temperatures near 46°C

36 deaths reported due to heat wave in Nuevo Leon, Mexico

More than 70 million people remained under heat alerts Monday as an intense heat wave continued across the southern United States, particularly Florida and states along the Mexican border, where temperatures and heat indexes could reach as high as 46 degrees Celsius, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).

Several cities recorded or tied temperature records over the weekend and into Monday, including Miami and Fort Lauderdale in Florida; Laredo, Borger and Austin’s airport in Texas; Atlanta, Georgia; Raleigh and Charlotte, North Carolina; and Memphis, Tennessee.

The NWS warned that the heat wave will continue affecting the southern and southeastern United States, with maximum temperatures expected to remain near 38°C to 40°C for several days. The heat index, which combines temperature and humidity to estimate how hot conditions feel, could reach 46°C.

The extreme heat is also spreading into the Southwest, where temperatures began rising again between Monday and Tuesday. Forecast highs in the region range from about 38°C to 43°C.

Heat alerts remain in effect across Nevada, Arizona and California, including areas in southern Arizona and California near the Mexican border, as authorities warn of the risks posed by prolonged extreme temperatures.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The NWS urged residents to limit outdoor activity, stay hydrated, ensure access to air conditioning or cooling centers, and check on vulnerable friends, neighbors and family members.

The United States is experiencing a summer marked by above-average temperatures and repeated heat waves. One of the most intense episodes occurred during the July 4 weekend, when extreme heat was blamed for roughly 30 deaths.

July was the hottest month ever recorded in the United States since measurements began, with the average temperature across the contiguous country approaching 25°C, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The combination of extreme heat and drought conditions has also fueled wildfires. Nearly 3 million hectares have burned across the country so far in 2026, making it the largest area affected by wildfires in a decade.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Trump warns Iran over nuclear ambitions as U.S.-Iran ceasefire deadline passes

U.S. President Donald Trump reiterated Monday that Iran must never be allowed to obtain a nuclear weapon, as a 60-day deadline set under a memorandum of understanding between Washington and Tehran expired without an agreement to end the conflict in the Middle East.

“The number one goal is, and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way or under any circumstances, a nuclear weapon,” Trump wrote in a post on his Truth Social platform.

The memorandum, signed on June 17, called for an “immediate and permanent cessation of military operations on all fronts” as part of a broader negotiation process aimed at ending the conflict. However, the deadline expired Monday without a peace agreement, while both Washington and Tehran continued to maintain their respective positions.

The expiration is largely symbolic, as military clashes resumed during the 60-day period. The Strait of Hormuz also remains blocked, contributing to elevated global oil prices.

Trump escalated his rhetoric toward Tehran last Friday, saying he planned to declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory after defeating Iran.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

“After we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated, very soon I will essentially declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory,” Trump said during a political rally in Long Island, New York. He also claimed that the United States currently controls the passage of vessels through the strategic waterway.

Meanwhile, U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Washington is preparing additional economic measures against Iran that he described as unprecedented.

“Stay tuned for new announcements next week because we are going to implement measures unlike anything ever seen in the history of the economic isolation of a country,” Bessent said.

The Treasury secretary indicated that the measures would form part of a broader “double hit” strategy that could also involve maintaining the blockade of Iranian ports.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Brazil’s Lula and Flávio Bolsonaro kick off election campaigns amid focus on crime

Public security took center stage Sunday as Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and Senator Flávio Bolsonaro formally launched their election campaigns, positioning themselves as the leading rivals ahead of the October presidential vote.

Lula, who leads most opinion polls, kicked off his campaign at the Vila Euclides stadium in São Bernardo do Campo, in São Paulo state, while Bolsonaro held his event in Rio de Janeiro, a political stronghold of his family.

During his speech, Lula announced plans to create a new Ministry of Public Security aimed at strengthening coordination between the federal government and Brazil’s states in the fight against crime.

The president pledged a tougher strategy to reclaim territories controlled or influenced by criminal groups. The proposed ministry would help “share responsibilities with the states” and confront those who seek to control favelas and impoverished neighborhoods, Lula told supporters.

The initiative places public security at the heart of Lula’s campaign as he seeks another term in office amid persistent concerns over crime and organized criminal activity in Brazil.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Lula also used his first campaign speech to reinforce his position as a leading figure of Brazil’s left and to criticize his political opponents on the right.

“I will not allow the right to take power,” Lula said, accusing his opponents of having previously mocked children who died because they lacked access to medicine.

“I don’t know what future these people imagine for the Brazilian people,” he added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

Trending

Central News