Connect with us

International

José Andrés demands from the pulpit an independent investigation of the Israeli attack

Spanish chef José Andrés claimed this Thursday from the pulpit of the National Cathedral of Washington an independent investigation into the Israeli attack that ended on April 1 with the lives of seven co-workers of his NGO, World Central Kitchen (WCK).

The chef, dressed in black, reiterated his request during an exciting speech at Washington’s National Cathedral, where hundreds of people gathered for an interreligious ceremony aimed at paying tribute to the seven aid workers killed in the Israeli attack.

“I know that we all have many unanswered questions about what happened and why. There is no excuse for these murders. The official explanation is not enough. And obviously we continue to demand an investigation into the actions of the Israeli Armed Forces against our team,” he said.

The chef had already asked after the attack for an independent investigation into the attack on the WCK convoy and has urged the United States, Australia, Canada, Poland and the United Kingdom, countries of origin of the deceased aid workers, to join this call, although Washington has already refused to do so.

“Food can never be a weapon of war, humanitarian workers can never be a target because they are the best of us,” said José Andrés, who said that “every civil life is sacred and should never be treated as collateral damage.”

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Quoting the writer Elie Wiesel, José Andrés called for an end to indifference.

“The opposite of love is not hatred, it is indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it is indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it is indifference. It’s time to put an end to indifference,” he asked.

The chef began his speech by talking one to one of the seven deceased aid workers: the Palestinian Saifeddin ‘Safi’ Issam Ayad Abutaha; the British John Chapman; the American and Canadian Jacob Flickinger; the Australian Lalzawmi ‘Zomi’ Frankcom; the British James Henderson and James Kirby; and the Polish Damian Sobol.

On several occasions, but especially when he talked about Lalzawmi ‘Zomi’ Frankcom from Australia, his voice broke when he spoke and he had to hold back his tears.

He described it as “the living, throbbing and smiling heart” of everything the NGO did on the ground to distribute food in conflict zones, where no one else can reach. “She was like a sister to me,” he said moved.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

José Andrés said that these losses may “seem small” compared to the almost 200 humanitarian workers who have died in the Gaza Strip since the beginning of the war or the more than 34,000 Palestinians who have lost their lives in the Israeli offensive and the 1,200 Israelis who died in the Hamas attack on October 7.

However, he stated that each of the seven deceased members of his team had a family, friends, a life and a story full of light.

“When a disaster happens, it’s easy to see the darkness and never the light. But the reality is this, the light will always shine. We cannot ignore the suffering after a natural disaster or in a war zone. Today we cry and suffer with the families of our seven beloved heroes and the whole family of World Central Kitchen.

Just after the words of José Andrés, the famous cellist Yo-Yo Ma played.

Among the audience was Douglas Emhoff, the husband of U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris, according to the White House.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The ceremony, called “Celebration of Life,” sought to mix prayers, hymns and sacred readings of the Muslim, Jewish and Christian tradition.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

International

Heat wave puts more than 70 million Americans under alerts as temperatures near 46°C

36 deaths reported due to heat wave in Nuevo Leon, Mexico

More than 70 million people remained under heat alerts Monday as an intense heat wave continued across the southern United States, particularly Florida and states along the Mexican border, where temperatures and heat indexes could reach as high as 46 degrees Celsius, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).

Several cities recorded or tied temperature records over the weekend and into Monday, including Miami and Fort Lauderdale in Florida; Laredo, Borger and Austin’s airport in Texas; Atlanta, Georgia; Raleigh and Charlotte, North Carolina; and Memphis, Tennessee.

The NWS warned that the heat wave will continue affecting the southern and southeastern United States, with maximum temperatures expected to remain near 38°C to 40°C for several days. The heat index, which combines temperature and humidity to estimate how hot conditions feel, could reach 46°C.

The extreme heat is also spreading into the Southwest, where temperatures began rising again between Monday and Tuesday. Forecast highs in the region range from about 38°C to 43°C.

Heat alerts remain in effect across Nevada, Arizona and California, including areas in southern Arizona and California near the Mexican border, as authorities warn of the risks posed by prolonged extreme temperatures.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The NWS urged residents to limit outdoor activity, stay hydrated, ensure access to air conditioning or cooling centers, and check on vulnerable friends, neighbors and family members.

The United States is experiencing a summer marked by above-average temperatures and repeated heat waves. One of the most intense episodes occurred during the July 4 weekend, when extreme heat was blamed for roughly 30 deaths.

July was the hottest month ever recorded in the United States since measurements began, with the average temperature across the contiguous country approaching 25°C, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The combination of extreme heat and drought conditions has also fueled wildfires. Nearly 3 million hectares have burned across the country so far in 2026, making it the largest area affected by wildfires in a decade.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Trump warns Iran over nuclear ambitions as U.S.-Iran ceasefire deadline passes

U.S. President Donald Trump reiterated Monday that Iran must never be allowed to obtain a nuclear weapon, as a 60-day deadline set under a memorandum of understanding between Washington and Tehran expired without an agreement to end the conflict in the Middle East.

“The number one goal is, and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way or under any circumstances, a nuclear weapon,” Trump wrote in a post on his Truth Social platform.

The memorandum, signed on June 17, called for an “immediate and permanent cessation of military operations on all fronts” as part of a broader negotiation process aimed at ending the conflict. However, the deadline expired Monday without a peace agreement, while both Washington and Tehran continued to maintain their respective positions.

The expiration is largely symbolic, as military clashes resumed during the 60-day period. The Strait of Hormuz also remains blocked, contributing to elevated global oil prices.

Trump escalated his rhetoric toward Tehran last Friday, saying he planned to declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory after defeating Iran.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

“After we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated, very soon I will essentially declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory,” Trump said during a political rally in Long Island, New York. He also claimed that the United States currently controls the passage of vessels through the strategic waterway.

Meanwhile, U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Washington is preparing additional economic measures against Iran that he described as unprecedented.

“Stay tuned for new announcements next week because we are going to implement measures unlike anything ever seen in the history of the economic isolation of a country,” Bessent said.

The Treasury secretary indicated that the measures would form part of a broader “double hit” strategy that could also involve maintaining the blockade of Iranian ports.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

International

Brazil’s Lula and Flávio Bolsonaro kick off election campaigns amid focus on crime

Public security took center stage Sunday as Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and Senator Flávio Bolsonaro formally launched their election campaigns, positioning themselves as the leading rivals ahead of the October presidential vote.

Lula, who leads most opinion polls, kicked off his campaign at the Vila Euclides stadium in São Bernardo do Campo, in São Paulo state, while Bolsonaro held his event in Rio de Janeiro, a political stronghold of his family.

During his speech, Lula announced plans to create a new Ministry of Public Security aimed at strengthening coordination between the federal government and Brazil’s states in the fight against crime.

The president pledged a tougher strategy to reclaim territories controlled or influenced by criminal groups. The proposed ministry would help “share responsibilities with the states” and confront those who seek to control favelas and impoverished neighborhoods, Lula told supporters.

The initiative places public security at the heart of Lula’s campaign as he seeks another term in office amid persistent concerns over crime and organized criminal activity in Brazil.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Lula also used his first campaign speech to reinforce his position as a leading figure of Brazil’s left and to criticize his political opponents on the right.

“I will not allow the right to take power,” Lula said, accusing his opponents of having previously mocked children who died because they lacked access to medicine.

“I don’t know what future these people imagine for the Brazilian people,” he added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

Trending

Central News