Connect with us

International

Thousands of people join the retirees’ march in the capital of Argentina

Thousands of demonstrators began to mobilize in the vicinity of the Parliament of Argentina in support of the demands of the retirees, in the midst of a deployment of about 2,000 police officers, streets cut by the security forces, fences and warnings to the population not to attend the demonstration.

University professors, unions and social organizations joined the protest in an atmosphere of tension.

The march began in an atmosphere of tranquility around 17:30 local time (20:30 GMT), although there are moments of tension between demonstrators and security forces agents.

Retirees ask for improvements in their pensions, medication coverage and that the social security moratorium be maintained, for which pension is collected even if 30 years have not been contributed, and which expires next Sunday.

“When I worked I had enough to live, now that I’m retired not. I have an extra job to support myself. But I’m not coming for myself, I’m coming for all the retirees who can’t come,” Monica, one of the women present at the march, told EFE.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

“The straw that broke the camel’s back was last Wednesday’s repression. Hitting a retiree, it was not necessary,” Monica added.

This demonstration is held in the middle of a strong security operation, with about 2,000 police officers deployed and the streets surrounding Parliament, 100 meters around, fenced with fences to prevent the circulation of vehicles and control the passage of people.

“Protest is not violence. The Police are going to repress any attack against the Republic,” read this morning in a message, accompanied by a symbol of danger, reproduced on screens and speakers in the train stations that connect the capital with the metropolitan area of Buenos Aires.

This communication service of Trenes Argentinos is usually used to inform about issues related to the service of trains or state health campaigns, such as vaccination or disease prevention.

A week ago the police repressed in a very forceful way the march of the retirees, then also supported by unions and football fans, with the result of more than 120 detainees and fifty injured, including the photographer Pablo Grillo, who is still in serious condition because of the impact of a tear gas cartridge on his head.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The Government asked Justice on Tuesday to arrest 29 people who participated in last week’s protest, banned them from entering football stadiums and offering a reward of ten million pesos (about 9,500 dollars) for anyone who provides data that allows them to identify “those who promoted the riots” in Congress.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_300x250

International

U.S. Targets Members of Outgoing Boric Administration With Visa Revocations

The United States government announced on Friday the revocation of visas for three Chilean officials—whose identities were not initially disclosed—citing activities that allegedly “undermined regional security,” an accusation that Chile denies.

In a statement, the U.S. Department of State did not provide specific details about the individuals involved but criticized the outgoing administration of leftist President Gabriel Boric.

“The legacy of the Boric government will be further tarnished by actions that undermine regional security to the ultimate detriment of the Chilean people,” the statement read. It was signed by U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

Chile’s Minister of Transport, Juan Carlos Muñoz, later confirmed in a video message to the press that he is among those sanctioned.

“I was recently informed that my visa to enter the United States has been revoked by that country, which I deeply regret,” Muñoz said.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The U.S. statement also noted that Washington hopes to “advance shared priorities, including those that strengthen security in our hemisphere, with the upcoming Kast government.”

The electoral victory of ultraconservative leader José Antonio Kast was welcomed in Washington, which has been building alliances with like-minded governments in the region to reinforce its diplomatic and economic agenda—particularly in response to China’s growing investment presence in Latin America.

“We remain committed to promoting accountability for Chilean individuals who deliberately work to destabilize our hemisphere,” the statement concluded.

Continue Reading

International

Three Injured in Mail Package Explosion at Buenos Aires Gendarmerie Academy

Three people were injured on Friday after a mail package exploded at the Escuela Superior de Gendarmería in Buenos Aires, according to a statement released by Argentina’s Ministerio de Seguridad.

The explosion occurred at 1:49 p.m. local time (16:49 GMT) inside a building located less than one kilometer from the Government House, the ministry reported.

“Personnel from the force handled a parcel that had reportedly been received months earlier and was being stored at the facility. When it was opened, an explosion occurred, causing injuries to two officers,” the statement said.

The ministry added that both injured officers were transported to a hospital and are not in life-threatening condition. “A third officer remains in recovery and is out of danger,” authorities confirmed.

Following the incident, police cordoned off the surrounding area, halted traffic, and evacuated the 11-story building as well as adjacent buildings on the same block.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Mariana Bornio, an employee at a telecommunications company located in a neighboring building, said that as she was being evacuated, she saw one of the injured gendarmes leaving the scene shirtless and covered with a blue medical gown.

Continue Reading

International

Top U.S. Military Commander Meets Interim Venezuelan Leaders After Maduro’s Capture

The commander of the United States Southern Command, Marine Francis L. Donovan, visited Venezuela on Wednesday, holding meetings with interim leaders following the recent capture of former President Nicolás Maduro by U.S. forces. The visit, confirmed by both U.S. and Venezuelan officials, marked a significant diplomatic and security engagement in Caracas.

Donovan, accompanied by senior U.S. officials including acting Assistant Secretary of Defense Joseph M. Humire and top diplomat Laura Dogu, met with acting President Delcy Rodríguez and key members of her cabinet, including Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino López and Interior Minister Diosdado Cabello.

According to official statements, discussions focused on strengthening bilateral cooperation on regional security issues, including efforts to combat illicit drug trafficking, terrorism, and migration. Both sides reiterated a commitment to pursuing diplomatic engagement and shared security goals for Venezuela and the Western Hemisphere.

The meetings also discussed progress on a three-phase plan supported by the United States to help stabilize Venezuela, following Maduro’s removal from power and subsequent detention in the U.S. on drug-related charges. This agenda reflects expanding U.S. engagement with Venezuela’s interim government amid broader efforts to restore diplomatic relations and address regional challenges.

The visit concluded on Wednesday, underscoring a growing U.S. focus on cooperation with Venezuelan authorities in the aftermath of major political developments earlier this year.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading

Trending

Central News