Connect with us

International

The trial of an Australian Instagramer accused of overmedicating her baby to get donations begins

An Australian Instagrammer accused of poisoning her one-year-old baby to gain followers and obtain donations administered her daughter a medicine against seizures in disobeying medical recommendations, as reported this Tuesday before the Australian court that judges the case.

In today’s hearing, the prosecution exposed before the Magistrates’ Court of the city of Brisbane, in east of Australia, that the girl had been diagnosed with tuberous sclerosis, a genetic disorder that caused benign tumors, according to the public channel ABC.

Last year, doctors prescribed the girl the drug “Carbamazelina”, used by people who suffer from epilepsy, but when they detected that it caused seizures in the baby, they withdrew the treatment.

However, the mother, 34 years old and who, according to what was exposed today by the prosecution, still had the prescription for the drug, would have ignored the opinion of the doctors and continued to administer the medicine to the little girl with the aim of obtaining donations and followers.

According to the Australian authorities, the accused thus obtained about 60,000 Australian dollars (37,500 US dollars or almost 36,000 euros).

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

“There really is no valid explanation for why… (the woman) did not go once, not twice, but three times… to a pharmacy to obtain a medicine that she knew she should no longer give her daughter because it caused her harm,” Police prosecutor Jack Scott said during the session.

Scott indicated during the hearing that on one occasion the seizures caused by the drug caused the girl a cardiac arrest that required medical intervention, according to information collected by the Australian Press Agency (AAP).

The court told EFE today in a statement that during the session a request for bail was also submitted for the detainee, which will continue to be evaluated at a hearing on Wednesday at 9:00 local time (23:00 GMT on Tuesday).

This case has shocked the southern country, very firm in its policies of control over social networks with recent measures that restrict access to them for adolescents, and maintained a tough battle with X for a video showing the knife attack of a teenager against a religious in Sydney in April 2024.

The woman, who has not been identified for legal reasons, was arrested on January 16 following a police investigation based on suspicions that the parent provided the baby with medicines without medical approval.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

According to the Queensland Police investigations, between August 6 and October 15, 2024, the woman allegedly administered several prescription and unauthorized medications to the baby and tried to hide this behavior.

The mother also recorded her daughter “while she suffered anguish and immense pain” and published the videos on social networks “to attract monetary donations and online followers,” according to the Police.

In mid-October, medical staff at a hospital in southern Brisbane detected what happened and informed the police while the girl was admitted.

The blood tests carried out then detected that the baby had unauthorized medications in her blood.

After her arrest, the woman was charged with five crimes of poisoning with the intention of causing harm, three of preparation to commit crimes with dangerous objects and a crime of torture, one of manufacturing child exploitation material and one of fraud, which add up to more than two decades in prison if she was found guilty.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

International

Mexico and Guatemala Agree on Five-Point Binational Plan for 2027

Mexico and Guatemala agreed Tuesday on a 2027 Binational Plan built around five areas of cooperation, along with a schedule of meetings and initiatives aimed at making progress by the end of 2026 on security, border infrastructure, human mobility, development and technical and social cooperation.

The agreement was announced by the foreign ministers of both countries following a meeting in Mexico City.

Mexican Foreign Minister Roberto Velasco said the plan will establish the “direction and priorities” of bilateral relations for next year. His Guatemalan counterpart, Carlos Ramiro Martínez, said the meeting allowed both governments to make decisions, schedule activities and revitalize bilateral cooperation mechanisms.

Security and border infrastructure

In the area of security, the two governments have nearly completed negotiations on a new memorandum of understanding for the Mexico-Guatemala High-Level Security Group (Ganseg), which was reactivated in 2025.

The countries expect to sign the agreement in the coming months to strengthen coordination and their ability to respond to shared security threats.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Regarding their nearly 1,000-kilometer shared border, Mexico and Guatemala agreed to advance infrastructure improvements at border crossings and continue work on a joint cargo clearance program between Ciudad Hidalgo and Tecún Umán, two border areas separated by the Suchiate River.

The measures are intended to facilitate bilateral trade while making cross-border exchanges safer and more efficient.

The two governments will also continue defining a route toward a railway connection between their countries through Line K of Mexico’s Interoceanic Corridor of the Isthmus of Tehuantepec (CIIT), with the aim of strengthening economic and community ties.

Migration and development

On human mobility, Mexico and Guatemala will maintain coordination to ensure safe, orderly and dignified returns, while strengthening protection for people in transit.

The bilateral agenda also includes a second phase of the Sembrando Vida program in Guatemala, which is expected to benefit 10,000 people across 15 departments.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

Both countries will also advance initiatives under Juntos para el Bienestar, as well as six technical, scientific and energy cooperation projects approved by the Joint Commission.

The agreements seek to strengthen bilateral ties and establish concrete priorities for cooperation between Mexico and Guatemala during 2027.

Continue Reading

International

France to Expel Two Iranian Diplomats Over Alleged Attack on French Officials

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot announced Tuesday, August 18, 2026, that France will expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris described as an attack on two French representatives in Iran last month.

“Two French diplomats were scandalously and deliberately assaulted on July 19. I had announced that this intolerable act would have consequences. It has now happened. Two Iranian diplomats in France will be expelled in the coming days,” Barrot said in a message posted on X.

The two Iranian diplomats have been declared persona non grata and will be required to leave France within the coming days, according to the French foreign minister.

About a month ago, Barrot said that two members of the French diplomatic staff had been detained by Iranian security forces for several hours. One of them was also subjected to harassment, he said.

The French government described the incident as an “extremely serious act of intimidation” that violated diplomatic immunity.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The two French embassy staff members were working on programs supporting Iranian civil society, particularly initiatives involving artists and researchers.

Iran has denied France’s allegations regarding the incident. The diplomatic dispute comes amid already strained relations between Paris and Tehran.

Continue Reading

International

Heat wave puts more than 70 million Americans under alerts as temperatures near 46°C

36 deaths reported due to heat wave in Nuevo Leon, Mexico

More than 70 million people remained under heat alerts Monday as an intense heat wave continued across the southern United States, particularly Florida and states along the Mexican border, where temperatures and heat indexes could reach as high as 46 degrees Celsius, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).

Several cities recorded or tied temperature records over the weekend and into Monday, including Miami and Fort Lauderdale in Florida; Laredo, Borger and Austin’s airport in Texas; Atlanta, Georgia; Raleigh and Charlotte, North Carolina; and Memphis, Tennessee.

The NWS warned that the heat wave will continue affecting the southern and southeastern United States, with maximum temperatures expected to remain near 38°C to 40°C for several days. The heat index, which combines temperature and humidity to estimate how hot conditions feel, could reach 46°C.

The extreme heat is also spreading into the Southwest, where temperatures began rising again between Monday and Tuesday. Forecast highs in the region range from about 38°C to 43°C.

Heat alerts remain in effect across Nevada, Arizona and California, including areas in southern Arizona and California near the Mexican border, as authorities warn of the risks posed by prolonged extreme temperatures.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The NWS urged residents to limit outdoor activity, stay hydrated, ensure access to air conditioning or cooling centers, and check on vulnerable friends, neighbors and family members.

The United States is experiencing a summer marked by above-average temperatures and repeated heat waves. One of the most intense episodes occurred during the July 4 weekend, when extreme heat was blamed for roughly 30 deaths.

July was the hottest month ever recorded in the United States since measurements began, with the average temperature across the contiguous country approaching 25°C, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The combination of extreme heat and drought conditions has also fueled wildfires. Nearly 3 million hectares have burned across the country so far in 2026, making it the largest area affected by wildfires in a decade.

Advertisement
20260101_dengue_cubeta_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow
Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

20260101_dengue_balde_300x250

Trending

Central News