Connect with us

Internacionales

Iran’s support for Russia and nuclear concerns on the agenda at Geneva talks

Delegations from Iran, Germany, France, and the United Kingdom are meeting this Friday in the Swiss city of Geneva to discuss Tehran’s nuclear program, its relations with Russia, and the situation in the Middle East.

Ahead of the meeting, the European Union’s deputy foreign policy chief, Enrique Mora, said on Thursday that he had held a “frank discussion” in Geneva with two senior officials from Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Majid Takht-Ravanchi and Kazem Gharibabadi.

The conversation focused on “Iran’s support for Russia, which must cease; the nuclear issue, which must find a diplomatic solution; regional tensions (it is important that all parties avoid escalation); and human rights,” the diplomat posted on X (formerly Twitter).

For his part, Gharibabadi called on the European Union to “abandon its self-centered and irresponsible approach to the problems and challenges of this continent and international issues,” said Iran’s deputy foreign minister, Abás Araqchi, on the same platform.

The meeting is taking place with the utmost discretion amidst heightened tensions between Israel and Iran and their allies, and less than two months before the return of Donald Trump to the White House, who was highly hostile towards Tehran during his first term.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

It was Trump’s decision to pull the United States out of the 2015 agreement, in which Iran and six world powers agreed that the Islamic Republic would limit its nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief.

Since then, Iran has pushed forward with the development of its nuclear program, which its authorities claim is for peaceful purposes.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_300x250

Internacionales

Major winter storm threatens “catastrophic” ice and snow across much of the U.S.

A major winter storm is threatening to blanket large portions of the United States with a dangerous mix of freezing rain and heavy snowfall, potentially creating “catastrophic” conditions across areas home to nearly 160 million people.

Several U.S. states have declared a state of emergency as the Arctic blast advances from the California coast across much of the continental United States, affecting central regions, including the Rocky Mountains and the Great Plains, according to forecasts.

The National Weather Service warned the storm could cause a “catastrophic accumulation of ice,” leading to prolonged power outages, widespread tree damage, and extremely dangerous or impassable travel conditions.

Meteorologist Ryan Maue cautioned that “the next 10 days of winter will be the worst in 40 years in the United States.”
“Think about where you can go, what you can do, and who may need even more help to survive the coming week. This is not an exaggeration or a joke,” Maue said.

He urged residents to prepare for temperatures dropping below -18°C (0°F).

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

More than 1,500 weekend flights had already been canceled, according to flight tracker FlightAware, including numerous flights in Texas.

In the southern state, many residents still recall the devastation caused by a similar storm in February 2021, which resulted in more than 200 deaths linked to hypothermia, carbon monoxide poisoning, and traffic accidents.

Texas authorities have assured the public that the power grid, which suffered widespread failures during that storm and left millions without electricity, is better prepared to withstand the extreme weather this time.

Continue Reading

Internacionales

Juan Orlando Hernández’s family takes time to decide next steps after surprise U.S. release

Ana García, the wife of former Honduran president Juan Orlando Hernández, who was pardoned on Monday by U.S. President Donald Trump after being sentenced in 2024 to 45 years in prison on drug trafficking and firearms charges, told EFE on Wednesday that the family has not yet decided whether he will return to Honduras.

“We have not made any decision about that yet. Everything is still very recent, and as a family we are going to take the time to reflect carefully and make wise decisions thinking about the well-being of Juan Orlando, our children, and all our families,” García said at her residence in Tegucigalpa.

García wore around her neck her husband’s wedding ring, which she has kept since Hernández was held at a special police detention facility known as the ‘Cobras’ on the day of his arrest, February 15, 2022.

“We are still deciding many things. He has just been released, it has not even been 48 hours since he got out. So we are taking things calmly,” she reiterated.

She also explained that since she does not have a U.S. visa — revoked after her husband was requested for extradition following the end of his presidency in January 2022 — she has not been able to see him, but said she is “awaiting some form of communication from the United States” in order to do so.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

García declined to reveal where in the United States her husband is currently located, although she stressed that she is confident she will have an opportunity to reunite with him.

Continue Reading

Internacionales

One killed, 188 evacuated as wind-driven blaze rips through Kyushu neighborhood

One person died and 188 residents were evacuated after a massive fire swept through at least 170 buildings in a residential area on the island of Kyushu, southern Japan, authorities reported on Wednesday.

The regional government confirmed one fatality. Public broadcaster NHK reported that police, who had been searching for a missing 76-year-old man, found a body inside his home.

Footage recorded on Tuesday night showed firefighters spraying water on towering flames engulfing homes, while residents were escorted to an improvised evacuation center.

“The flames rose so high they turned the sky red. The wind was strong. I never imagined it would spread so far,” a man told NHK.

“I was shaking with fear. I had never seen a column of fire like that,” another witness said.

Advertisement
20260212_constancia_pagos_mh_728x90
previous arrow
next arrow

The fire broke out late Tuesday, with at least 170 buildings affected. According to NHK, the blaze spread rapidly, likely fueled by a lack of rainfall, dry air, and the tightly packed wooden houses characteristic of the area.

Continue Reading

Trending

Central News