International
Shock in Haiti over the massacre of more than 70 people at the hands of an armed gang
The massacre perpetrated early last Thursday morning by the armed group Gran Grif in Pont Sondé, about 100 kilometers from Port-au-Prince, left more than 70 dead, including women, children and the elderly, and has shocked depressed Haiti, immersed for years in a crisis that is only worsening.
The balance of the massacre in Pont Sondé, in the commune of Saint-Marc, in Artibonite, could increase with the hours, because sporadic shots are still heard in the area, which cannot be accessed due to violence.
Several houses and vehicles were set on fire, forcing survivors to take refuge in other places or in the public square of Saint-Marc after walking for hours and crossing bodies along the way.
Inhuman and unacceptable acts
The Prime Minister, Garry Conille, visited the victims this Saturday at the Saint Nicolas de Saint Marc hospital, where he sympathized with the families and expressed his deepest indignation for these acts, which he described as inhumane.
“This new act of violence, directed against innocent civilians, is unacceptable and requires an urgent, rigorous and coordinated response from the State,” said Conille, in office since June 12, replacing Ariel Henry, who resigned in the midst of an outbreak of violence.
During his visit, the head of government reiterated his government’s “full commitment” to work “relentlessly” to restore the security and authority of the State and protect all citizens.
Several units of the Haitian National Police (PNH) are deployed in the commune of Saint-Marc, where they have sent armored vehicles and contingents of the Multinational Security Support Force, which is led by Kenya, with the aim of reinforcing police officers who are already on the ground carrying out operations to dismantle criminal gangs, the Police announced on Facebook.
The division commissioner of the Artibonite Police, Jean Louis Paul Ménard, was dismissed after the massacre for his inability to neutralize the armed gangs that control the region. Instead, they appointed Caleb Exantus, who took office yesterday.
A planned massacre in Haiti
Rumors of a planned massacre had been circulating in Pont-Sondé for at least two months, according to a report by the NGO National Network for the Defense of Human Rights (Rnddh), which expressed its dismay at the news on Saturday.
The armed men blamed the local population for joining forces with those of the members of “The Coalition” – a self-defense group – who are trying to stop criminal activities at the Gran Grif base and prevent them from profiting from the toll they have recently installed on the national road,” Rnddh revealed.
This massacre was characterized by murders, injuries caused by bullets and knives, the burning of houses, vehicles and checkpoints, and the forced displacement of the population of Pont-Sondé.
“People with babies and young children were also killed. The corpses lie on the ground, they have not yet been recovered by their relatives,” Rnddh denounced.
The authorities, unable to restore peace
The Pont-Sondé massacre adds to the thousands of victims of acts of violence against people and property perpetrated by armed people, who have enjoyed impunity for several years, the NGO laments in a document.
“The new state authorities put in place by the international community promised to restore order and security in the country,” however, “nothing has changed since they came to power.”
“They are content to empty the coffers of the State by granting themselves all kinds of advantages, while they let the population manage with the armed men,” he says, while assuring that “nothing is being done to regain control of the areas occupied by members of the armed organizations, disarm them, arrest them, try and condemn them in proportion to the acts of which they are accused.”
The Rnddh recommends that authorities actively search for armed members of the Gran Grif base, run by Luckson Elan.
It also calls for psychological and financial assistance programs to be launched for the entire population of Pont-Sondé, in particular the one that is currently in the public square Philippe Guerrier, very shocked by the attack and who could not take anything with him when he was fleeing the attack of the gang members.
International
Mexico and Guatemala Agree on Five-Point Binational Plan for 2027
Mexico and Guatemala agreed Tuesday on a 2027 Binational Plan built around five areas of cooperation, along with a schedule of meetings and initiatives aimed at making progress by the end of 2026 on security, border infrastructure, human mobility, development and technical and social cooperation.
The agreement was announced by the foreign ministers of both countries following a meeting in Mexico City.
Mexican Foreign Minister Roberto Velasco said the plan will establish the “direction and priorities” of bilateral relations for next year. His Guatemalan counterpart, Carlos Ramiro Martínez, said the meeting allowed both governments to make decisions, schedule activities and revitalize bilateral cooperation mechanisms.
Security and border infrastructure
In the area of security, the two governments have nearly completed negotiations on a new memorandum of understanding for the Mexico-Guatemala High-Level Security Group (Ganseg), which was reactivated in 2025.
The countries expect to sign the agreement in the coming months to strengthen coordination and their ability to respond to shared security threats.
Regarding their nearly 1,000-kilometer shared border, Mexico and Guatemala agreed to advance infrastructure improvements at border crossings and continue work on a joint cargo clearance program between Ciudad Hidalgo and Tecún Umán, two border areas separated by the Suchiate River.
The measures are intended to facilitate bilateral trade while making cross-border exchanges safer and more efficient.
The two governments will also continue defining a route toward a railway connection between their countries through Line K of Mexico’s Interoceanic Corridor of the Isthmus of Tehuantepec (CIIT), with the aim of strengthening economic and community ties.
Migration and development
On human mobility, Mexico and Guatemala will maintain coordination to ensure safe, orderly and dignified returns, while strengthening protection for people in transit.
The bilateral agenda also includes a second phase of the Sembrando Vida program in Guatemala, which is expected to benefit 10,000 people across 15 departments.
Both countries will also advance initiatives under Juntos para el Bienestar, as well as six technical, scientific and energy cooperation projects approved by the Joint Commission.
The agreements seek to strengthen bilateral ties and establish concrete priorities for cooperation between Mexico and Guatemala during 2027.
International
France to Expel Two Iranian Diplomats Over Alleged Attack on French Officials
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot announced Tuesday, August 18, 2026, that France will expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris described as an attack on two French representatives in Iran last month.
“Two French diplomats were scandalously and deliberately assaulted on July 19. I had announced that this intolerable act would have consequences. It has now happened. Two Iranian diplomats in France will be expelled in the coming days,” Barrot said in a message posted on X.
The two Iranian diplomats have been declared persona non grata and will be required to leave France within the coming days, according to the French foreign minister.
About a month ago, Barrot said that two members of the French diplomatic staff had been detained by Iranian security forces for several hours. One of them was also subjected to harassment, he said.
The French government described the incident as an “extremely serious act of intimidation” that violated diplomatic immunity.
The two French embassy staff members were working on programs supporting Iranian civil society, particularly initiatives involving artists and researchers.
Iran has denied France’s allegations regarding the incident. The diplomatic dispute comes amid already strained relations between Paris and Tehran.
International
Heat wave puts more than 70 million Americans under alerts as temperatures near 46°C
More than 70 million people remained under heat alerts Monday as an intense heat wave continued across the southern United States, particularly Florida and states along the Mexican border, where temperatures and heat indexes could reach as high as 46 degrees Celsius, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).
Several cities recorded or tied temperature records over the weekend and into Monday, including Miami and Fort Lauderdale in Florida; Laredo, Borger and Austin’s airport in Texas; Atlanta, Georgia; Raleigh and Charlotte, North Carolina; and Memphis, Tennessee.
The NWS warned that the heat wave will continue affecting the southern and southeastern United States, with maximum temperatures expected to remain near 38°C to 40°C for several days. The heat index, which combines temperature and humidity to estimate how hot conditions feel, could reach 46°C.
The extreme heat is also spreading into the Southwest, where temperatures began rising again between Monday and Tuesday. Forecast highs in the region range from about 38°C to 43°C.
Heat alerts remain in effect across Nevada, Arizona and California, including areas in southern Arizona and California near the Mexican border, as authorities warn of the risks posed by prolonged extreme temperatures.
The NWS urged residents to limit outdoor activity, stay hydrated, ensure access to air conditioning or cooling centers, and check on vulnerable friends, neighbors and family members.
The United States is experiencing a summer marked by above-average temperatures and repeated heat waves. One of the most intense episodes occurred during the July 4 weekend, when extreme heat was blamed for roughly 30 deaths.
July was the hottest month ever recorded in the United States since measurements began, with the average temperature across the contiguous country approaching 25°C, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
The combination of extreme heat and drought conditions has also fueled wildfires. Nearly 3 million hectares have burned across the country so far in 2026, making it the largest area affected by wildfires in a decade.
-
International14 hours agoFrance to Expel Two Iranian Diplomats Over Alleged Attack on French Officials
-
International3 days agoActress Hayden Panettiere Dies at 36, Representative Confirms
-
International2 days agoTrump warns Iran over nuclear ambitions as U.S.-Iran ceasefire deadline passes
-
International2 days agoHeat wave puts more than 70 million Americans under alerts as temperatures near 46°C
-
International2 days agoBrazil’s Lula and Flávio Bolsonaro kick off election campaigns amid focus on crime
-
International14 hours agoMexico and Guatemala Agree on Five-Point Binational Plan for 2027
-
International5 days agoLuigi Mangione Pleads Guilty to Killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson
-
International5 days agoICE Plan to Equip Agents With Electric Shock Gloves Raises Abuse Concerns






























