International
The US warns of the threat of dengue in the country after cases skyrocketed in the world
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are alerting doctors and local health authorities, especially in the southern U.S., about the threat of dengue in the country after the disease skyrocketed globally.
“Althog there are currently no reports of an outbreak in the continental area of the United States, cases around the world have increased at an alarming rate,” Gabriela Paz-Bailey, director of the CDC’s Dengue Office, based in Atlanta, Georgia, told EFE.
According to data from the agency, so far this year a total of 2,241 cases have been reported in the United States, an increase compared to 2023, taking into account that 3,036 were registered throughout the year.
Photograph of the Aedes aegypti mosquito, responsible for the transmission of dengue. EFE/Andre Borges
Of the total number of cases so far in 2024, 1,498 were counted in Puerto Rico, where local authorities declared a state of emergency in March after registering historical figures of this disease transmitted by the Aedes aegypti mosquito, also a carrier of Chikunguña, yellow fever and Zika.
“The increase in travel during the summer to places where dengue is common can lead to greater local transmission in the United States, so it is important for health professionals to test patients who have a fever and have traveled to places where dengue is frequent,” Paz-Bailey said.
Therefore, the epidemiologist urges those who travel to these countries to use repellent, because they want to prevent them from returning with the virus and it from spreading in the United States, since the mosquito is present in several states of the country, especially in the south.
“This imports of the virus by case of dengue in travelers can result in it being transmitted locally, although they are generally short chains of transmission and outbreaks that can be controlled, they are not the explosive outbreaks we see in Puerto Rico,” Paz-Bailey stressed.
Historically, local cases have been reported in Hawaii, Florida and Texas, and have recently been reported in Arizona and California, according to the director of the Dengue Office.
“But where we expect there to be more possibilities of transmission is in the southern United States, where the Aedes aegypti mosquito exists, and Florida has been one of the states that has reported the most locally acquired cases,” said the expert, who assures that heat is a factor that is contributing to the increase in cases globally.
Paz-Bailey explains that the mosquito is now present in areas where it could not survive before because the temperatures were lower. Likewise, hurricanes, floods and other “extreme phenomena” generate favorable conditions to generate breeding sites for these insects and thus multiply.
According to the CDC, approximately one in four people infected with the dengue virus – for which there is no specific drug to treat – get sick and some of them suffer from serious symptoms that can be life-threatening in a few hours, so hospitalization is required.
International
Heat wave puts more than 70 million Americans under alerts as temperatures near 46°C
More than 70 million people remained under heat alerts Monday as an intense heat wave continued across the southern United States, particularly Florida and states along the Mexican border, where temperatures and heat indexes could reach as high as 46 degrees Celsius, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).
Several cities recorded or tied temperature records over the weekend and into Monday, including Miami and Fort Lauderdale in Florida; Laredo, Borger and Austin’s airport in Texas; Atlanta, Georgia; Raleigh and Charlotte, North Carolina; and Memphis, Tennessee.
The NWS warned that the heat wave will continue affecting the southern and southeastern United States, with maximum temperatures expected to remain near 38°C to 40°C for several days. The heat index, which combines temperature and humidity to estimate how hot conditions feel, could reach 46°C.
The extreme heat is also spreading into the Southwest, where temperatures began rising again between Monday and Tuesday. Forecast highs in the region range from about 38°C to 43°C.
Heat alerts remain in effect across Nevada, Arizona and California, including areas in southern Arizona and California near the Mexican border, as authorities warn of the risks posed by prolonged extreme temperatures.
The NWS urged residents to limit outdoor activity, stay hydrated, ensure access to air conditioning or cooling centers, and check on vulnerable friends, neighbors and family members.
The United States is experiencing a summer marked by above-average temperatures and repeated heat waves. One of the most intense episodes occurred during the July 4 weekend, when extreme heat was blamed for roughly 30 deaths.
July was the hottest month ever recorded in the United States since measurements began, with the average temperature across the contiguous country approaching 25°C, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
The combination of extreme heat and drought conditions has also fueled wildfires. Nearly 3 million hectares have burned across the country so far in 2026, making it the largest area affected by wildfires in a decade.
International
Trump warns Iran over nuclear ambitions as U.S.-Iran ceasefire deadline passes
U.S. President Donald Trump reiterated Monday that Iran must never be allowed to obtain a nuclear weapon, as a 60-day deadline set under a memorandum of understanding between Washington and Tehran expired without an agreement to end the conflict in the Middle East.
“The number one goal is, and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way or under any circumstances, a nuclear weapon,” Trump wrote in a post on his Truth Social platform.
The memorandum, signed on June 17, called for an “immediate and permanent cessation of military operations on all fronts” as part of a broader negotiation process aimed at ending the conflict. However, the deadline expired Monday without a peace agreement, while both Washington and Tehran continued to maintain their respective positions.
The expiration is largely symbolic, as military clashes resumed during the 60-day period. The Strait of Hormuz also remains blocked, contributing to elevated global oil prices.
Trump escalated his rhetoric toward Tehran last Friday, saying he planned to declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory after defeating Iran.
“After we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated, very soon I will essentially declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory,” Trump said during a political rally in Long Island, New York. He also claimed that the United States currently controls the passage of vessels through the strategic waterway.
Meanwhile, U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Washington is preparing additional economic measures against Iran that he described as unprecedented.
“Stay tuned for new announcements next week because we are going to implement measures unlike anything ever seen in the history of the economic isolation of a country,” Bessent said.
The Treasury secretary indicated that the measures would form part of a broader “double hit” strategy that could also involve maintaining the blockade of Iranian ports.
International
Brazil’s Lula and Flávio Bolsonaro kick off election campaigns amid focus on crime
-
International16 hours agoActress Hayden Panettiere Dies at 36, Representative Confirms
-
International4 days agoThree U.S. Executions Set for Same Day as Trump Pushes to Expand Death Penalty
-
International4 days agoColombia Earthquake Death Toll Reaches 265 as Rescue Teams Race Against Time
-
International2 hours agoTrump warns Iran over nuclear ambitions as U.S.-Iran ceasefire deadline passes
-
International2 hours agoHeat wave puts more than 70 million Americans under alerts as temperatures near 46°C
-
International3 days agoICE Plan to Equip Agents With Electric Shock Gloves Raises Abuse Concerns
-
International3 days agoLuigi Mangione Pleads Guilty to Killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson
-
International2 hours agoBrazil’s Lula and Flávio Bolsonaro kick off election campaigns amid focus on crime






























